Will There Be an 85th Anniversary Special Edition

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

paologregorio

Re: Will There Be an 85th Anniversary Special Edition

Post by paologregorio »

There are other new and cool things coming out of the factory; I'd just buy one of those. :)

The 1993 plus and 4003"S" are both lovely.
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
girllennon76

Post by girllennon76 »

Lovely as those are, I can't manage a wide neck and I don't play bass. I've got my eye on two other Rics, so just waiting for tax time to see what I can work with.
chefothefuture
Advanced Member

Post by chefothefuture »

"Wide" is a rather subjective word when used by Rickenbacker.
"Slightly wider" might be more apropos...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

chefothefuture wrote:"Wide" is a rather subjective word when used by Rickenbacker.
+1.

1 3/4" - 1 7/8" wide necks are extremely common in the acoustic guitar world.
girllennon76

Post by girllennon76 »

jps wrote:
chefothefuture wrote:"Wide" is a rather subjective word when used by Rickenbacker.
+1.

For an electric, I need a slimmer neck width. I spent 14 years playing a 325, so I'm used to that size and love it.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

girllennon76 wrote:
jps wrote:
+1.

For an electric, I need a slimmer neck width. I spent 14 years playing a 325, so I'm used to that size and love it.
Sounds like you already have what's best for you. 8) Anything else would also have way too long a scale length, right?
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

girllennon76 wrote:
jps wrote:
+1.

Wow, I LOVES ME some 325's but I just can't play them, wish I could though....

My 660/12 feels just about right.
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

Given all the criticism that John Hall and Rickenbacker took over the 75th anniversary model I wouldn't be surprised if we never saw an anniversary model again.
girllennon76

Post by girllennon76 »

simer4001 wrote:Given all the criticism that John Hall and Rickenbacker took over the 75th anniversary model I wouldn't be surprised if we never saw an anniversary model again.
Can you link some threads about that? I would've have remembered seeing something about this but I can't recall. I was on the RIC company forum at that time and not on RRF. I had an account but forgot my credentials (old account was "girllennon").
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

I don't know where they are. You could possibly do a search but I know there was a lot of criticism for the anniversary models. But not from me. I love the finish, the TRC and special pickguard.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I think it was an annoyingly vocal minority of Rickheads, IIRC. Very few, I believe. Most here loved the 75ths and pounced on the haters that surfaced. I think their issues were with the origin of DCM. It was a paint mixing mistake, or as I'd prefer to call it, a happy accident. Make lemonade, right?
RIC_FACTORY
RIC

Post by RIC_FACTORY »

jdogric12 wrote:I think it was an annoyingly vocal minority of Rickheads, IIRC. Very few, I believe. Most here loved the 75ths and pounced on the haters that surfaced. I think their issues were with the origin of DCM. It was a paint mixing mistake, or as I'd prefer to call it, a happy accident. Make lemonade, right?
It was a shipping mistake by our supplier. We opened up a pail of what was supposed to be MID (or maybe it was FG), and instead it was DCM. Years later, after he was let go, the former rep told me that what we dubbed "DCM" was actually intended for a well-known custom chopper shop THEN located in Long Beach. So, if you ever see a custom FG chopper on the road...
girllennon76

Post by girllennon76 »

RIC_FACTORY wrote:
jdogric12 wrote:I think it was an annoyingly vocal minority of Rickheads, IIRC. Very few, I believe. Most here loved the 75ths and pounced on the haters that surfaced. I think their issues were with the origin of DCM. It was a paint mixing mistake, or as I'd prefer to call it, a happy accident. Make lemonade, right?
It was a shipping mistake by our supplier. We opened up a pail of what was supposed to be MID (or maybe it was FG), and instead it was DCM. Years later, after he was let go, the former rep told me that what we dubbed "DCM" was actually intended for a well-known custom chopper shop THEN located in Long Beach. So, if you ever see a custom FG chopper on the road...
Its a happy accident considering I love the color on the DCM and the gold pickguard. It looks super classy and is very unique
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

RIC_FACTORY wrote:
Now, THIS is cool info...
8) 8) 8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Interesting. Just goes to show how rumors can make the rounds! I always heard it was a pail of paint that got accidentally poured into a can that had residue of another color. And now you know... the rest of the story.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”