New Ric, Neck Twist

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

adamborman

New Ric, Neck Twist

Post by adamborman »

First let me give some quick background info, this is my first time posting on the forum so :). I began playing guitar at the age of 11 after falling in love with the music of The Beatles. So basically you could say, owning a Rickenbacker has always been a big dream. Fast forward 5 years to last Thursday, February 26th/15, at the age of 16, I finally purchased my First Rickenbacker. A Nov. 2014 330 in Jetglo purchased at Long and McQuade.

Upon first picking up the guitar and playing on it, I noticed the strings were terribly high, higher any acoustic I've ever played. I sighted the neck and it had a large amount of relief on both the treble and bass side. Didn't think much of it, thinking it just need a major setup upon purchase. I buy it, and I get the sales to throw on a set of D'addario .10-.48 Flats on it and ask him if he could lower the action and straighten the neck. He does so, after finishing, the strings are still pretty high and now there's some fret buzz on the G and D strings and he tells me he can't put them any lower without there being more buzz. This should have been my first clue something was up. I tell him it's fine, keeping in mind Long & McQuade throw in a free setup with the purchase of every guitar and I'd cash that in sometime soon, I just wanted to get home and play my new baby.

So Saturday rolls along and I've had with it how awful a job was done with the sales associates "setup" and I take the guitar in for it's free one at the downtown location. (I bought the guitar at the southend, very far from home) Upon first inspection when I bring the guitar in, the guy tells me that the neck looks like it has a twist in it and was in total shock that the guys in the south let me walk out of the store the way it was. This totally freaks me out, he assures me however that they'll figure it out.

Today, Monday, I receive a call from L&M. They tell me the tech has looked at it and has had no luck getting the neck to move. My heart starts pounding. After all, I've saved for ages for this guitar and it's already looking like a **** show. He continues with they're going to ship it back to the south on Thursday and have the tech there look at it to see if he can get it to move and if not, that'll be the time to get Rickenbacker involved for a possible neck replacement. I couldn't believe what I was hearing! A pretty much brand new guitar needing a neck replacement. This is got me totally worried. I didn't really expect to pay $2000 for a guitar just to have it turn into a complete nightmare! If it gets to the point where in needs to be sent back, I think I'll end up saying no that's okay, you keep this one and give me a new one please. Because furthermore, I didn't pay $2000 to wait over a month (mostly likely) just to have a playable guitar. Will post updates when I hear more. Thanks for your time.
lordblackmore

Re: New Ric, Neck Twist

Post by lordblackmore »

You are being far more patient that I would be. If the real tech at L&M couldn't correct the issue, then I would ask for a full refund or a brand new replacement 330.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

lordblackmore wrote:You are being far more patient that I would be. If the real tech at L&M couldn't correct the issue, then I would ask for a full refund or a brand new replacement 330.
Exactly this. Me personally I'd get the full refund and get a vintage 330, maybe from the late 80's or early 90's.
rick360man

Post by rick360man »

I too would recommend returning the guitar for a full refund since Long and Mcquade has a 30 day return policy. Ask them to order you another Jetglo 330 to replace it.
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

Return it quickly and have them get you a new one. That is very unusual for a new RIC and you need to get the situation, not the guitar, corrected. Return it. Quickly. :shock: :shock: 8) 8)
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I wouldn't want what would likely be another guitar made from the same batch of potentially troublesome wood. I'd just take the money. A vintage one like I described would cost less and have a better neck. Probably a nicely ambered finish too if you go MG or FG.
adamborman

Post by adamborman »

jdogric12 wrote:I wouldn't want what would likely be another guitar made from the same batch of potentially troublesome wood. I'd just take the money. A vintage one like I described would cost less and have a better neck. Probably a nicely ambered finish too if you go MG or FG.
I was thinking if this one can't be sorted, I'd ask them to bring the same one in from another store. They have 3 more across Canada according to their website. Do you think it could really be the batch of wood though?
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

To correct a twisted neck is another thing than to correct a bow or underbow. You can be sure that after a treatment called "correction" the wood will find its way back like it was after a while. Like Tim said: I would return it quickly too.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

adamborman wrote:
jdogric12 wrote:I wouldn't want what would likely be another guitar made from the same batch of potentially troublesome wood. I'd just take the money. A vintage one like I described would cost less and have a better neck. Probably a nicely ambered finish too if you go MG or FG.
I was thinking if this one can't be sorted, I'd ask them to bring the same one in from another store. They have 3 more across Canada according to their website. Do you think it could really be the batch of wood though?
Hard to tell. I wouldn't take the risk.
rick360man

Post by rick360man »

From my experience, it is hit and miss as to whether a given L&M tech/salesman is familiar with how to set up a RIC, adjust truss rods etc. I don't mean any disrespect but many techs are more familiar with fenders, gibson's etc. It surprises me how tech at stores don't bother to read the instruction and maintenance manual that comes with the RIC instrument which is very informative. Where in Canada are you based out of? If there truly is a neck twist, definitely return it within 30 days for a full refund and/or replacement with a new one. There should be no questions asked.
adamborman

Post by adamborman »

rick360man wrote:From my experience, it is hit and miss as to whether a given L&M tech/salesman is familiar with how to set up a RIC, adjust truss rods etc. I don't mean any disrespect but many techs are more familiar with fenders, gibson's etc. It surprises me how tech at stores don't bother to read the instruction and maintenance manual that comes with the RIC instrument which is very informative. Where in Canada are you based out of? If there truly is a neck twist, definitely return it within 30 days for a full refund and/or replacement with a new one. There should be no questions asked.
I thought the same thing when it comes to L&M techs and Rics.

I'm in Edmonton.
rick360man

Post by rick360man »

If you lived in South Eastern Ontario, I would have been happy to have a look at your 330. I can empathize with your frustration. If I were you, as I and others have suggested is just get your money back from L&M. Good luck.
adamborman

Post by adamborman »

jdogric12 wrote:
adamborman wrote:
Hard to tell. I wouldn't take the risk.
Right, and what's the difference between the new necks as compared to an older one?
rick360man

Post by rick360man »

I have an 1987 Fireglo 330 and a 2008 Jetglo 330. Both have slim necks as you would expect.The 87 is a bit slimmer though, high gain pickups with non adjustable pole pieces and less output in the bridge vs neck pickup (ie about 6.5k bridge and 14k neck - they did that for awhile in the 80s) and it has the larger headstock of that era and is a bit lighter than the '08.

MY 2008 Jetglo would be like the current production model (high gains with adjustable pole pieces, smaller headstock, etc).

Both excellent.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

adamborman wrote:Right, and what's the difference between the new necks as compared to an older one?

The test of time.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”