Need some help customizing a Ric.....

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

AlexB

Need some help customizing a Ric.....

Post by AlexB »

Hello all..

I am fairly new to this forum and to Rickenbackers in general. I have played on a few (360,370,360/12) and love the sound.

I was just wondering what different kinds of mods could be done, especially with the pickups and strings. I want to keep the rich chord sound but also want a great lead sound at the same time. Maybe the factory set up is the best for this? Or is there a way to get an even better sound?

Going further, has anyone tried the Elixir round wound strings?
Racket

Post by Racket »

Alex
I have a 330 built in ’93, and I am amazed at the range of sounds that can be achieved with factory set-up. I play through an old Sunn tube amp and find that you can get a great “lead” tone with the stock hi-gain pick ups. Many people are into the classic tone of the toaster pick-ups, but I prefer the versatility of the hi-gains. So, I guess what I’m saying is you don’t need any mods to get a variety (you can make magical adjustments with the 5th knob.)
milo
Veteran RRF member

Post by milo »

I like the Elixer roundwound strings, although I have only used them on my Telecaster and not on any of my Rickenbackers. They don't seem to be quite as bright sounding as some other strings, but they have a nice feel and seem to keep the same new tone longer than other brands that I have used.
AlexB

Post by AlexB »

Thanks for the feedback guys...

Racket-I will also be playing through a Sunn. (Model T head and 412 cab). What exactly are the "toaster pickups"? The Ric I am interested in is a 2000 JetGlo 360. I guess this has high gains?

Jeff-I was actually considering the Elixir's. I will probably be purchasing the guitar this weekend if all is well. Then I guess it will be time to do some experimenting! Have you tried any different string on your Ric besides the factory ones?
Racket

Post by Racket »

My amp is a late 60’s Sunn Sentura II with 2- 4x10 cabinets that clip together to form an immovable mass for “easy” transportation. Anyway, toaster pick-ups are the vintage style Rickenbacker pick-up. They don’t have buttons under each string, making them look like a toaster top. A 2000 360 will have hi-gains unless it was special ordered with the vintage pick-up option.
AlexB

Post by AlexB »

Mine has the "bumps" so I guess they are high gains...

Have you tried any different strings on your Ric?
milo
Veteran RRF member

Post by milo »

I use my 330/6 mostly for rhythm parts and need to complement and stand out from a baby grand and a bass. My favorite strings for this are the Pyramid flatwounds (.010-.0465 gauge). They come with a wound and an unwound "G" string. I use the wound but I almost never have to bend it. These give a smooth but not dead sound, and still give that "jangle". I also like the stock compressed gauge round wounds and D'addario .009-.042 when I used to play lead a little more.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”