Rickenbacker guitars: 1970-1984

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

beatcomber

Post by beatcomber »

Very sturdy is an understatement! I would say that Pete Townshend would've had a hard time smashing my 330. Image

I noticed that there seems to be, in addition to the x-bracing, some other sort of bracing inside my 330. The top of the body appears to be 1/4" thick at the soundhole edges, but if I look inside there is a SECOND layer of wood under the top that doubles the thickness. It extends to maybe a 1/2" from the soundhole.

I can't tell if the top of the body is just carved that way or it really is a second layer of wood glued under the top. Either way, it makes for a very sturdy (and heavy) Rickenbacker.
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

Post by studiotwosession »

Regarding 70s, early 80s guitars...

I was just thinking it seems weird to me that there is an entire category in this forum devoted to vintage 325s but not a similar one specifically for vintage 320s, which if anything are more mysterious (they seem to have been made both with and without F holes, and were offered in more colors than 325s were during the 60s) and 320 from this era are apparently just as rare, if not more so (depending on the year) than vintage 325s.

Such a topic, I think, could easily exist as a subcategory within this vintage designation.
This is off the record
tnc2

Re: Rickenbacker guitars: 1970-1984

Post by tnc2 »

this is an old thread but Im just now seeing it, Ive always wondered about a Jetglo Rickenbacker 320 I ordered in 83-64, It had a small headstock, I dont remember much about the inside of the body but one thing Ive always been curious about is that it had one truss rod, I remember being a little disappointing that it didnt have two, Ive owned several early 80s 320s two BurgundyGlos and a AzureGlo :0 (wish Id kept that one) and all had double truss rods. by the way I sold a fireglo 1970 Rickenbacker 381 with transition Higain pickups cause I wanted a 320, I bought it out of the classifieds for $325 and sold it to George Gruhn for $500, I was 14, what a dummy :/
Ive always wondered who ended up with the 381, it has a break in the lower plexi guard where the pots are located from falling off the stand :/
scotty

Re: Rickenbacker guitars: 1970-1984

Post by scotty »

Great thread I missed this one.
I have 2 330 71s which are which are super light and have really thin necks which I think are wonderful.
I've a 83 330 which is like a tank.It feels very well built l like the extra flange of wood on the top it feels heavy and robust.
The 360 from 81 I have is the same.The early 80s 300 series guitars are solid instruments and great quality imho.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”