Rickenbacker guitars: 1970-1984

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

beatcomber

Rickenbacker guitars: 1970-1984

Post by beatcomber »

I've often wondered about Rickenbacker's guitar production in the '70s and early '80s. Presumably it was Rick's line of basses that kept the company afloat during that time, when the 300-series guitars were considered out of date by most guitarists - Les Pauls and Strats were the order of the day. You almost never see Rickenbacker guitars from 1970-1984, although there seems to be plenty of '70s 4001s out there. I'd be curious to know what the annual production totals on 300-series Ricks were during those years.

In May 1984 I walked into The Music Mart in State College, PA and placed an order for a fireglo 330 (price: $590 + tax, incl. wood'n'tolex HSC!!). There were no Rickenbacker dealers in central Pennsylvania at the time, as far as I knew. I believe the store ordered my guitar directly from the factory. A few weeks later I received my 330, with a serial number indicating a March '84 manufacture date (XC). Compare that to the waiting time for a Rick today! Clearly, Rickenbacker guitars were not in great demand in 1984. To this day, I have yet to see another 330 manufactured in 1984, although I know of about 2 others made in 1983, owned by members of various online boards like this one.

My 330 is somewhat unique compared to others I've played. Rickenbacker guitars, particularly the '60s models, have a definite delicateness to them. Not so my guitar - it really feels "substantial." I believe the body top is thicker than most (maybe 1/4") and it's HEAVY. It's gotta be at least 8 lbs. It has the narrow '60s-style headstock (which Rick widened on 330s in '85), x-bracing, and Grover Rotomatic tuners (I believe '84 was the only year for the Grovers). The fireglo, which hasn't changed at all in 22 years, is a dark tobacco'y red sunburst with an orange-yellow center, sort of like what I believe the new "Amber Fireglo" will look like. The finish is laid on very thick. I have never touched the truss rods once since 1984, after living in different climates and trying different string gauges and types over the years - yet the action on my 330 is still ridiculously low with no fret buzz anywhere. It is an incredibly well-built, solid instrument, even by Rickenbacker's already high standards. Topping it off, there is some nice flame on the back of the body, and a bit on the top. It looks smashing when stage lights hit it.

Do any of you have Rickenbacker guitars from that period? Any comments you'd like share comparing your guitars to either newer Ricks or vintage models? Are there anymore 1984 330s out there????
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Glenn: I have a '79 360 MG, an '80 320 BG, and an '80 620/12 FG. The 360 is a very solid feeling guitar (unlike similar 60's models). The bound neck is fantastic and the guitar is very heavy. It also has the Grover Rotomatics. The 320 has a small headstock and nickel Kluson tuners. The 620/12 has a Fireglo that could easily be called Amberglo. My observations are the same as yours.

When I first started shopping for Rick guitars in 1979, there were none to be found at local Rick dealers, only basses. Then one day, Arnold and Morgan Music in Garland, Texas (a suburb of Dallas), got a huge shipment of guitars. This would have been in '80 or '81. They received at least one of every model (6- and 12-string) in an assortment of colors (FG, JG, MG, BG, AG, etc). I was speechless. I definitely recall a 950 AG, a 360/12WB FG, and a 420 MG. There must have been at least (18) new Ricks on display. Unfortunately, I was a college student at the time, who couldn't afford any of these guitars.
tony_carey
Advanced Member

Post by tony_carey »

I have an '84 360WB Glenn. One of the most beautiful FG's I've ever seen & a fabulous player. Mind you, the X bracing & extra thick top put it firmly in the Les Paul weight category!

Mine is the exact same as yours....heavy, amber FG, grovers with the 'intermediate' headstock shape & the lowest action I've ever had on a Ric.
'Rickenbacker'...what a name! After all these years, it still thrills me.
beatcomber

Post by beatcomber »

I would venture to say that the guitars made by Rickenbacker in the early '80s may be among the finest the company has ever produced. Due to their relative rarity and uniqueness, I could see these guitars becoming sought after by collectors in the future.
leftyguitars
Advanced Member

Post by leftyguitars »

1981>>>Image
"If only quilted maple grew on trees!"
http://www.leftyguitars.co.uk
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

Post by studiotwosession »

>> - Les Pauls and Strats were the order of the day. <<

Strats? My memory is, with a few exceptions, it was Les Pauls and Les Pauls. Les Paul city.

From Frampton, Page, Towshend, Davy Johnstone (Elton John Band) and Buckingham to Southern rock and Kiss and Boston, Les Pauls ruled the day, at least until New Wave became mainstream, which wasn't really until '78, at which time Rick guitars were back (in the clubs at least.)

Although Clapton played strats in the 70s, he spent much of the first half of that decade out of sight. Robbie Robertson and Springsteen's band played Fenders, but most of the decade they were on the college circuit and/or playing small venues (and not on the pop TV shows) or Band's Band kinds of groups.

There were a few other bands that played Fenders...BTO and Deep Purple. But I remember for every one of those there were ten Les Pauls through Marshalls acts.

I'm glad New Wave brought back Fender and Vox and other amps, instead of all Marshall cliche (though unfortunately that would return in the 80s and 90s.)

Otherwise, great question I've thought about myself. I just bought an '83 320 with vintage Grovers, and it seems on the heavy side to me. But not overly and solid, yes, with mainly 60s features (I'm sure the toasters on it were added later.)

When I was in high school, a guy in my band had a 78 or 79 JG solid top 320, and a store in my area had an FG 320 with an F hole, which I regret that I didn't buy. I wonder, of the 320s they made in the late 70s, early 80s, how many had those.

From looking around, I see more mid 70s 450s than anything (I'm a 450 fan.) Not many 300 or 600 series guitars from those days.
This is off the record
beatcomber

Post by beatcomber »

I agree, Glenn. As far as '70s 6-stringers go, I usually see 450s more than anything, along with the occasional 360. I think I can remember seeing exactly one '70s 330 on eBay (a 21-fret '75 in burgandyglo).

That brings up another question: I know that Rickenbacker made at least SOME 21-fret 330s in the '70s. Besides the one I saw on eBay, I've seen pictures of Paul Weller (the Jam) using a 21-fretter with HiGains in 1976-77. Could these have been made from leftover '60s bodies/necks? Considering the lack of demand for 300-series Ricks at that time, it's entirely feasible.
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

Hmmm...well, interesting to bring up Weller and the fact that the Jam emerged in the UK earlier and way bigger than they did here, Glenn. That might have helped spur export Rick guitar production in 77?

I remember looking at a Rick catalog back in 78 and just thinking they were producing plenty of guitars from the look of it. I mean, everything seemed to be in it.

Regarding 450s, it seems like they made a fair number of 12 string versions of them in the 70s as well. One would suspect by 78 they were hiring to meet guitar production to meet new wave demand.

I think it would be great if someone put out an accurate production history from those days for sure. Haven't people done so for Fender and Gibson?

I know I did mention Frampton playing a Les Paul, which he usually did, but VH1 shows a clip of him from a concert in the mid 70s during a rare time when he strapped on a strat.
This is off the record
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

I received my first Rick catalog and price list in 1980 or 1981 after writing them a letter inquiring about replacement parts. It was actually a 1975 catalog. If I recall correctly, it showed a 360 JG with 24 frets and a 330 BG with 21 frets. It also showed a 320 FG with an F-hole, toasters, and an R-tailpiece. Obviously, the toasters were obsolete years before this catalog was issued. This tells me that Rickenbacker offered a full range of guitars during the 1970's, but they did not necessarily have current examples readily available for catalog photography.
beatcomber

Post by beatcomber »

I remember the catalog you're talking about, with the '60s 320. Recently one of the big vintage guitar dealers had a jetglo 320 that had a 1976 serial number, but most of the parts (including toasters) indicated a late '60s guitar.
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

If I recall correctly, the 320 FG in the catalog was photographed several times for various catalogs. I think it originally had an Accent vibrato and black knobs. It may have had only two pick-ups at one time. Later it got updated with silver knobs and an R-tailpiece.
kog

Post by kog »

I got my 360-12 FG in 1980 (s/n shows manufactured June, 1980), and all my experiences are the same. Bought in in Los Angeles, stayed there for a few years, then moved to the dry desert of Arizona. The action is still the same (perfect) and never had to adjust the truss rods.

My tuners are Kluson Deluxe. The fireglo has turned to a deep dark red around the edges, blending into that very pretty amber color in the center.

When I got mine, I had both the 1968 "Checkerboard" calendar and the 1975 calendar laying next to each other, trying to decide which I wanted -- a 330, a 360, a fireglo, a mapleglo, even the azureglo looked good. At least I knew I wanted a 12 string.

The old girl has aged much better than I have in 26 years!
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

That must have been a cool time for Rickenbacker, the late 70s and early 80s, to all of a sudden have all these cool recently emerged bands playing their guitars...even electric 12 strings. Too bad New Wave didn't last longer.
This is off the record
gingerly

Post by gingerly »

As some know, I acquired an '80 360/12 OS recently. It was noticeably heavier than the '92 330/12 it replaced, and much heavier than the 60's Rics I've played. It doesn't quite have the sustain of the later, non-cross-braced model, but it has about 10% more jangle, though I don't know why.

The fit and finish is extraordinary. The binding has aged to a greenish yellow, and I'd say there was likely more attention to detail when it was built than to the 90's guitar it replaced. I obviously love it... Image
"Change Returns Success/Action Brings Good Fortune"

Post by 36012 »

The tops on rick hollow bodies got thicker (3/8" vs 1/4") sometime in the 70s.I am not sure what year this occured, but they had had bracing in addition to the thicker tops. The 330 and 360 body style guitars had x-bracing, and the 320 body style guitars had a single brace. This is one reason the were heavier. They were very sturdy.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”