That Thing You Do!

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

leesh
Advanced Member

That Thing You Do!

Post by leesh »

I know that it's an old movie but I watched it a couple times this weekend and just got a kick out of it....plus "Jimmy" plays a Rick once the Wonders make it to the big time. Was RIC involved in the movie at all or was that just a happy coincidence?

Plus I haven't been able to get that theme song out of my head all day and I've been playing it on the 360.
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Rickenbacker did supply them the 360/12V64. Last time I was at the factory, I believe that JH did have a copy of the script. Or maybe I was dreaming.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Alisha,

I concur, that was a great movie. It brought back all kinds of memories of similar occurrences in my life. I really enjoyed it. The theme song "That Thing You Do" is really catchy. It could well have been written and recorded back then.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

Post by studiotwosession »

Of course the movie would have been lacking had the song not been done so well, written by the primary figures behind Fountains of Wayne and sung by Mike Viola of Candy Butchers fame.
This is off the record
twangs

Post by twangs »

I recall reading either on this forum or the Rickenbacker.com forum that Tom Hanks had a Ric with him at production meetings for this film, and would pick it up during the proceedings and strum a bit. The guitar is mentioned at the beginning at the beginning of this article...
http://www.boxoffice.com/coveroct96.html

I remember he first time I was watching the movie, and the 360/12v64 made its first appearance. I smiled and had to freeze frame the movie...
junglejem

Post by junglejem »

Funny this thread should pop up. My wife bought the soundtrack, of all things, and I gave it a listen the other day. I intended to start a thread here. There are 5-6 very tasty "British invasion" type tunes featuring a 12 string RIC predominantly. Anyone looking for tasty jangle & chime should pick up the "That Thing You Do" soundtrack.
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

Yes, it is an enjoyable film and a great soundtrack.

If you search back through the forum, in fact, (I think in C's Classics) you will see a post a few months back with a link to a YouTube clip of a British band on TV. And then I mentioned that the pre-chorus of that song sounds JUST like That Thing You Do.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

There's still quite a few versions on youtube, not sure which one you mean...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-otEa1HC7us
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzllVlzzeuo
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
lars
RRF Consultant

Post by lars »

Oh Sheena! The one with Liv Tyler of course!
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Ha-ha!
& Tom Hanks as well. & a Rick...Image
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
dragon1952

Post by dragon1952 »

Very cool movie! My youngest was still at home when that came out and we probably watched it 'a million' times Image
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

Found it.
It was in Rickenbacker General. The thread is titled "I Never Thought I'd See This One" started by Paulv63 on Feb. 21, '06. My post appears on the second page.
The band was The Knickerbockers and Jwilli agreed with my observation.
(Unfortunately the clip has been removed.)
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

I remember watching a "making of" type interview with Hanks in which he specifically mentioned Rickenbacker in regard to "the sound" he wanted the band to have. It is a fun movie to watch and listen to.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
paulv63

Post by paulv63 »

Mark, I wonder why it was removed... Maybe I should start another thread "We'll Never See This One Again."
webhead
Veteran RRF member

Post by webhead »

That was a cool movie.. I watched it a few times too. I would have liked it better if the "Lenny" character played a RIC as well.
"Take the RIC... Leave the cannoli."

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”