Playing A Model 325

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

admin
Site Admin

Playing A Model 325

Post by admin »

While visitng a friend a few days ago I had the opportunity to play his 325V59 for a couple of hours. During prevous times, I had my 350 with me and so really only had the 325 in my hands a short while. Well, I was pleasantly surprised, after the extended playing time, I was able to do most things on the 325 that I could on my 350. I sometimes got lost when singing and not looking at the fretboard as moving the same distance on my 350 covers much more of the neck than with the 325. All in all, however, the sound was terrific and it played well. OK, so it is a bit crowded at the 12th fret but I have a renewed interest in adding one of these to my collection one day.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Rod_Evans

Post by Rod_Evans »

My 325v59 is the best guitar I own. It has unique character and always turns heads. I like the "hotter" vintage reissue pick-up. They deliver spanking clean tones and a gritty, jangly distortion.The oven knobs are so cool. After you play one for a while they are so comfortable and LIGHT! Please post a pic if you decide to take the plunge!
Weller_Jr.

Post by Weller_Jr. »

Rod and Peter, etc., thank you, and I have some questions: I have had a beautiful 1976 360 since 1980, and am on the verge of committing to a 325v59. How do you compare the v59 to the v63? Why is the v59 better than the v63, or a "modern" rick? Can you give any more details on how the sound will compare to a "modern" rick (i.e, with non-vintage pickups?). I intend to be playing it fairly loud, in local clubs. THANKS FOR FEEDBACK.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Weller Jr: I can best describe the sound from the 325 as being fuller and I would say a bigger sound with the vintage reissue pickups as compared to the sound of my 350 with the high gain pickups. Both sounds certainly have their place but the 325 really cuts through and jangles all the way home.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Rod_Evans

Post by Rod_Evans »

I own both a v59 and a v63. Truthfully, either will give you the classic Rick sound. If you are really blasting, some of the tonal differences will be lost(or atleast tough to discern). To my ears, the 59 is better. It is thicker and has a bigbsy which is bolted to the body. The 63 has the Accent tailpiece which is a poor excuse for a vibrato. It floats on the body and provides little sustain. I have two Ricks with the Hi-gains and find them really timid and muddy in the treble register, but awesome on the smooth neck pick-up sounds. The toasters provide a clearer, snappier sound. They give that good twang! Also when wailed through a fuzz they are really unique without being too muddy. You can still hear the twang through the "sizzle". The pick-ups on my 1989 v59 are pretty loud, whereas my 1999 v63's have less output.
I use both on stage(59 is #1) and notice little change when I change over. Maybe a tweak of the bass knob to give the '63 some more power. I like both, but would opt for the v59. Hope this helps.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”