Rick 320. Leave it alone or mod it ? HELP!

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

anon

Rick 320. Leave it alone or mod it ? HELP!

Post by anon »

My question is should I monkey with my 1981
Burgandyglo Rickenbacker 320 by putting vintage Pickups on, vintage logo or leave it original???
I've been told that this guitar in this color is rare???
Im trying to deside if Im going to keep it and I really dont like the sound of the hi-output modern P.U.s...
This guitar weighs in at close to 9 pounds, are the 320-325 series usually this heavy???
thanks FATRAT
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Sound pretty strange to me that it would be this heavy.But that was a time frame when the bracing and rod systems and other methods of manufacturing were being toyed with .

To change the pickups ...you need not drill any holes .So this is a no brainer.DO IT you will love the difference ..that is if you want more of a vintage tone .

The name plate is another issue .I'd leave it alone .

THey might have not been using helium in the compressor at that time ...that would give you a lighter finish .....just kidding .
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
anon

Post by anon »

FATRAT, your '81 was heavier than the earlier models. I owned an '83 and an '86. The '86 was lighter. The pickguards were different too. There was at least a 1" difference in body width. The '83 was noticeably heavier.
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

I do recall seeing early 80s Ricks ,like 330s and 360s, and no kidding, I saw more than a few that had the "tops" as veiwed through the catseye
soundhole, that were at Least 1/4" thick tops.
anon

Post by anon »

thanks for the replies...
I bought a 83 360-12 that weighed a ton it had a real thick top....I sent it back....
this 320 is almost as heavy as my Gibson les paul.... I think Im just going to change out the pick ups for now and leave the rest alone...
the finish is really weather checked, what kind of paint were they using then???

FATRAT

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”