A Rick for blues

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

marctrain57

A Rick for blues

Post by marctrain57 »

I have long thought that Ricks get an unfair rap on their utility. But what would be a good Rick for the blues. I was thinking of one of the humbucker models but will never find one to play without buying first. What are the necks like I like a little thivkness to the necks. can you get a good big PAF type of tone or another suitable blues tone. I love my 340 and 360DCM but even as 6 stringers they are a little jangly.
eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Post by eatswodo »

You'll find lots of testimonials here for all varieties of Ricks for blues - but I'll put in a vote for the 650. Mine's a 650D, and has both the thickness in the neck, and the thickness in the tone that you might be looking for. Great guitar.
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

At some point during Friday night portion of the RIC 75th celebration, Darren Trott took the stage with Gary Clauson's 330 and just lit up the place. Darren made that guitar SING. It was one of the most impressive displays of blues chops I have ever heard and I live in Chicago. Anyway, I never thought of the 330 in that way. It's a cute jangly guitar with a too narrow fingerboard that is not much good for lead. Yeah, right. Darren opened my eyes (and ears) that night.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

To be precise, Darren played SRV's "Scuttlebuttin" - something that I was never even able to come close to playing on any Strat i've owned. It was really, really impressive.

I've never had a problem playing blues on any of my Ricks, but for someone used to playing on a Strat or a LP, a 650 will make the conversion easier - the wider neck, the taller frets, and the humbuckers all help that.
rick_ovic
RRF Consultant

Post by rick_ovic »

Ted and John, thanks for your kind words. I fondly recall that night as one of the most relaxed, fun gigs I've had the pleasure of playing. We had a pretty receptive audience too, which always helps! Image

Once upon a time I was an avid Fender collector and player and I've been fortunate enough to own five pre-CBS Strats and a few Telecasters. I was heavily influenced by SRV, Hendrix and Eric Johnson, all of whom were Strat players.

Most people aren't aware that SRV owned a 1960 360 Capri early in his career; that Hendrix also apparently owned a Rickenbacker or two and that Eric Johnson has performed with a 360 Capri in the last year or so.

I'm now fortunate enough to own a 1960 360 Capri. I've found that toaster-equipped Rickenbackers are superb blues instruments and the toaster pickups provide a bite and twang similar, but uniquely different to a Fender.

Gary Clauson's 330 is equipped with higains which also worked a treat on the blues style.

The conclusion I've reached is that Rickenbackers are way more versatile than most people give them credit for and secondly, a large part of the "sound" comes from the player's own style. SRV sounded like SRV whatever guitar he picked up!
'59 425, '59 335, '60 335, '60 360, '60 335F, '60 345F, '64 RM 1999, '65 RM 1998, '65 360-12, '66 335, '67 450-12, '72 4001 '72 4001, '75 4000, '75 4000CS, '00 700S, '01 700C, '01 700S-12, '01 730S-FH, '06 660 DCM
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

I'll put another vote in for a 650. The HB's are great for the blues.
Ka is a wheel.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

My favorite for that type of stuff was my old 250. It had a great neck and with it's rather heavy body it had a real solid, sturdy feel - like you weren't afraid to put the pedal to the metal and floor it. Combine that with really rich tone and that funny-looking little Ric became a real hot rod. I eventually sold it to Alisha (it was either that or send it out to Arnquist to have the fingerboard widened for my big fingers) but that's one of the ones I miss the most.

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I have a 430 from the mid-70s. Just about right, and the most Tele-feeling Rick I've ever played.

The 380 has a nice, thicker neck (maple fretboard) and humbuckers, too...

Don't forget what Slick cranked out of that BG 330 with Rick humbuckers, at HOB on that Sunday night...he rewrote the song into "While My Guitar Really Screams"!
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Marc,

I am very comfortable playing blues riffs on both my 350 and my 360V64.

They are also very cool looking guitars.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
bluesyric

Post by bluesyric »

Haven't had a problem getting good blues tones out of any of my Rics. The 650 series is probably the best suited for it, though, it's a bit easier to bend strings on those unfinished necks.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

The modded high gains I have on my 650C really have a blues tone to them. I believe even more than the HBs.
"The best things in life aren't things."
tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Post by tennis_nick »

WEll, I played Pat's 330 with toasters, and I think we can agree that it has a FANTASTIC bluesy tone! either clean or overdriven. I accually found the bridge overdriven tone of the toaster to be the most desirable rhythm tone of life! plug it into a wah and play it solo... you are on FIRE!
The Raven wrote:Nevermore
kcole4001

Post by kcole4001 »

Any 480/481 owners have an opinion?
The guitar neck on my 4080 can sound quite Tele-ish.
Plus five minus five!
marctrain57

Post by marctrain57 »

I would agree that the 330 has some great overdriven sounds, its just that I find the neck not the best for bends. I expect that something in the 650 line would work. i once saw a photo of John Mayall playing one covered with a weird paint job. I guess if its good enough for him it is certainly good enough for a low life like me.
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

I've been using my HB equipped 360 for blues. In fact, I'm taking it to practice this weekend where we plan on working on some Cream numbers. My Strat and Tele must be feeling very neglected.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”