620/630? (three pickup solidbodies.)

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

dustymurphy

620/630? (three pickup solidbodies.)

Post by dustymurphy »

I was wondering if anyone knew why the 620 is designated as a 2-0 instead of a 3-0, ala the 330. Is it something to do with being a solid body?

Also, why is it that you never see a three pickup solid body? I'd be interested in a 670/12 if one exists, but I've never seen anything of the sort.
Thanks!
-Dusty
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Don't read into the model numbers too much Dusty. It's true though, I don't recall ever seeing a three pickup "cresting wave" Rick before.
sir_andrew_of_left_coast
Veteran RRF member

Post by sir_andrew_of_left_coast »

There was a 3 pickup solid body sold on eBay a while back... I think one of the forum members got it, no?
Member #03
dustymurphy

Post by dustymurphy »

I haven't even got my 660/12 yet, and I'm already jonesing for another one. I played a 370/12 a friend of mine owns, and I really liked it's sound and pickup variety, but my fingers are too big for a 300 series 12 string, so that's not really an option.

I'd be really interested in seeing the 3 pickup solid body if anybody has a picture.
Thanks!
-Dusty
rick_ovic
RRF Consultant

Post by rick_ovic »

Here's a 1966 450-12 which sold on eBay a couple of years ago. It had three toaster pickups and an unusual control layout. I recall it being discussed and debated here, but can't recall whether we ever determined whether it was factory original or not:-

'59 425, '59 335, '60 335, '60 360, '60 335F, '60 345F, '64 RM 1999, '65 RM 1998, '65 360-12, '66 335, '67 450-12, '72 4001 '72 4001, '75 4000, '75 4000CS, '00 700S, '01 700C, '01 700S-12, '01 730S-FH, '06 660 DCM
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This will make for an interesting discussion, Darren. Perhaps John Hall could comment on this. I like the idea of using all of the pickup up combinations.

I would also like to know how well this guitar intonates with this bridge.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

...but my fingers are too big for a 300 series 12 string, so that's not really an option.

Try a 360C63. I was surprised on how much easier these are to play because of the 7" radius fretboard. It makes it feel wider and I guess if you did the math there actually is a little more surface area.
"The best things in life aren't things."
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Andrew, is this 620 FG "SPC" the one you are thinking of?

It has a HG/HG/HUM pickup arrangement.

It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
sir_andrew_of_left_coast
Veteran RRF member

Post by sir_andrew_of_left_coast »

Yes, Dr., that's the guitar I was thinking of!

I was 99% sure it was you who had it... but I didn't want to speculate. ;-)
Member #03
dustymurphy

Post by dustymurphy »

Wow, that looks great. I love Ric's humbuckers. My friend and I have discussed making my 660/12 (after it gets here) into a 670/12, but I'm not sure if I want to modify it since it's AFG and all. I think I may get a mapleglo later on and trick it out.

Ken: I've actually been dying for one, and even considered saving up for one in spite of the fretboard trouble I have, however your advice has really made me want more than I already did. If I thought it would work the same way my 660/12 has, I'd order it now and have the money by the time it gets here. (It was ordered last February, and I've had it ordered since last May.)
Thanks!
-Dusty
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

I always do what I can to keep the RAS going.
"The best things in life aren't things."
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I love it Gary! You have the coolest stuff. Image
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

Now I think I absolutely must have a 620/VB SPC VP
(3rd pickup, accent vibrato, vintage pickups).

Wow!

Need to calculate the cost for such a thing now...
Shaking the floor of Heaven
BtotheT

Re:

Post by BtotheT »

rick_ovic wrote:Here's a 1966 450-12 which sold on eBay a couple of years ago. It had three toaster pickups and an unusual control layout. I recall it being discussed and debated here, but can't recall whether we ever determined whether it was factory original or not:-

Sorry I'm late to the party but I can explain this guitar.

I almost bought it back in the late 80's. It came into a local guitar shop stripped of everything with the exception of the bridge and possibly the tuners. The owner of the store cut that pickguard out, added those knobs/electronics, added a Rick headstock logo, and the pickups. The body was routed at the factory for three pickups and sprayed fireglow stock. Never had been refinished when I saw it. The body is not a fake. I was to get a heck of a deal on it as a result of it being a Frankenstein build.

Then a Rick dealer/connoisseur guy came into the store one day when I was there and told a story that he knew of this guitar as being a built for, or a prototype for Mr. John Lennon himself. The gist of the story from what he knew was that George had one and John also wanted one but made with three pickups. There was mention of the guitar stolen out of the back of a car at some point and it was never seen again.

I can't confirm any of the Beatles angle, probably BS but the owner had put the guitar together to sell to me and when I came back with money in hand it was gone. I never saw the guitar again until I saw these photos. :lol:

At least it could put an end to the wonderment if it shows up again someday?

-B.T.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Re: 620/630? (three pickup solidbodies.)

Post by doctorwho »

It's never too late for a good story like that! Welcome to the Forum, and thanks for posting, Brent! 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”