Model 366/12

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

admin
Site Admin

Model 366/12

Post by admin »

The very nice photo of a 366/12 that Christopher Clause submitted to the Rickenbacker Registration Page raises a number of questions about this model. To begin, who introduced this idea of a 6/12 convertible. In addition, as a player does this instrument make the grade or are there complications when moving from 12 to six strings such as the need to retune the harmonic strings that have been temporarily "pulled" out of way by the comb. Does the "comb" get in the way? Perhaps 366/12 owners could comment on how it feels to play this model. Thanks.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Tony_Blair

Post by Tony_Blair »

I believe James Gross- the creator of the converter- went to Rickenbacker with the idea, and they bought it. I have one, and in twelve-string mode they play like a normal 12-string. Six-string mode is a bit odd, as you still have to deal with twelve-strings on the fret-board. The conversion is quick and easy, and I haven't noticed the converter getting in the way- but if it bothered anybody, the comb slips out pretty easily. Surprisingly, mine doesn't go out of tune- and I flip the converter back and forth all the time, just because its there.

Check out Guitar Crazy on GBASE to see a picture of one that looks like it's been sitting in a box since '68.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Tony for your interesting comments regarding your Model 366/12. For those who wish to view the photo to which you refer just go to
1968 Model 366/12 at Guitar Crazy
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Ted_Cholewa

Post by Ted_Cholewa »

How interesting it was to see that 1968 Model 366/12 in Fireglo,I have the same year & model in Blond that I bought new that year.What can I say about the sound other than "great"!As Tony said the comb never got in my way. Some times I played it as a 9 or 10 string by pulling strings away on the bass side only .Really I didn't play it for very long and is as new.I did always wonder how that idea came about though.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”