1972 Lightshow Question

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

admin
Site Admin

1972 Lightshow Question

Post by admin »

From THe Rickenbacker Forum mailbox
I'm sure that you will notice that some knucklehead (not me) put humbuckers in the guitar. Probably happened in the mid 70's. I've owned it for 24
years. Please note that the guitar is going in on 12/2/03 to have the pickups replaced with modern day equivalents of the original equipment. That unfortunate change is the only thing that's been done to the guitar and I'm rectifying that problem.

The serial number is LA 072. I'd love to track down the device to power the lights and some circa 1972 original equipment pickups.

Thanks for your help.

Marty Harris

Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Here's a source for a repro power supply for the lights:

http://www.guitarbroker.com/guittxt.htm

1000.Reproductions of transformer boxes for Rickenbacker 331 "Lightshow" guitars
are available by special order. Please e-mail or call for more details...$650.

I got one for my 1970 331LS and it works just fine.

The pickups on my 1970 do not have the round tops on the poles, rather, the poles show screw threads. I may have a picture at home that shows this, and if I do, I'll post it.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
331_lightshow

Post by 331_lightshow »

Gary

I saw that you had responded to my posting (actually Peter posted it for me...I'm new to the site and a bit unfamiliar with how things work) regarding obtaining a power supply for the lights for my 1972 331 Lightshow. I talked with the guy in Florida about the repro power supply. He seemed like a really nice guy. But, I have to say that I was pretty blown away by the price that he wanted.....$650!! Maybe that is the going price....I really have no idea. I've been using an old toy Tyco train set transformer to power the lights...it works fine....probably cost about $8. Obviously, I'd like the original equipment. Do you know if any circa early 1970s power supplies ever show up for sale anywhere? You mentioned that you bought one from the guy in Florida? How does it look? How does it work?

Thanks,
Marty
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

That's a ridiculous price. This is just a 24v AC tranformer in a box. I think this transformer would work quite well:

http://www.alliedelec.com/cart/partlookup.asp?ST=AS&PartNumber=7045065

The DIN connector originally used would be hard to find but there's some close ones here:

http://www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.asp?FN=215.pdf

The socket on the guitar would probably have to be changed to fit the modern pin spacing.

The later version of the guitar required more current, hence a larger transformer, and the supply lead moved over one pin to make sure the units were only backward compatible.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Gary:
The pickups on your 331LS are the so-called 'screw shaft high-gain pickups', which were early and, I believe, short-lived versions of 'button-top' high-gain pickups.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Sergio, thanks for that info.

JH wrote:

The DIN connector originally used would be hard to find ...

This was addressed in an earlier thread:

../43/4356.html"MB">
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Re: 1972 Lightshow Question

Post by kennyhowes »

So here's my question, clever Rickenbacker people:

Where can I find the correct DIN plug, but in a right-angle version?
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

kennyhowes wrote:So here's my question, clever Rickenbacker people:

Hmmm ... I think that it will require some research on some electronic parts sites.. and perusing some parts catalogs as well.

BTW, my link above (which is now a dead thread) referenced a local electronics store that is no longer in business. :(
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

doctorwho wrote:
kennyhowes wrote:So here's my question, clever Rickenbacker people:

Hmmm ... I think that it will require some research on some electronic parts sites.. and perusing some parts catalogs as well.

BTW, my link above (which is now a dead thread) referenced a local electronics store that is no longer in business. :(
Indeed it will. I was hoping someone had already done such. :)

I can certainly live with the cable on my box the way it is, but having a right-angle one would tidy things up a bit. Plus I'd be able to attach it on a dark stage.

Which store was that, Gary?
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I'd look at Digikey (digikey.com) or Newark (newark.com). Both are big on-line electronics suppliers. There are a couple of others too which I can't remember right now.

It's sometimes a bit hard to navigate their searches since they need a lot of details to get through all the different parts they have.

A quick look at Digikey shows they do have right angle DIN housings. If you give me some of the details of just what the connectors are (how many pins and diameter, there are a couple of different DIN sizes), I'll do a bit of looking...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
collin

Post by collin »

Kenny, post a picture of your DIN plug (there are many varieties). Next time I'm at the local electronics store (Orvac, Mar-Vac etc.) I will check for you. Never thought about using a right-angle myself! :)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Here is another possible source.

http://www.mouser.com/
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

jps wrote:Here is another possible source.

http://www.mouser.com/
Yeah, that was the other big one I was trying to think of...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Over the years I've looked for the original DIN plug at all the usual suspects . . . Digikey, Mouser, Newark, Allied, OrVac, MarVac, AllTech . . . never been able to find it.

However, if you're willing to change the socket as well, then the choices go up exponentially, especially if you pick MIDI type. Someone might try plugging in a MIDI cable to the guitar but nothing much would happen on either end!
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

collin wrote:Kenny, post a picture of your DIN plug (there are many varieties). Next time I'm at the local electronics store (Orvac, Mar-Vac etc.) I will check for you. Never thought about using a right-angle myself! :)
Dig this, from the archives:
doctorwho wrote:...the jack for the transformer should be a DIN jack like this:

I don't have additional pictures right this second, but when when JH and I restored mine I was able to find a jack and plug that were the exact pin configuration as seen on original 331s. Of course, I bought the parts locally in a city where I lived ten years ago (in Orange County, CA), and now I can't recall where I found them. (In hindsight I should have stocked up and sold them to you guys!)

Maybe I could get a right angle MIDI cable and adapt it? Seems possible.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”