Why are Pyramid strings suddenly the worst?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

admin
Site Admin

Re: Why are Pyramid strings suddenly the worst?

Post by admin »

Tommy wrote:Holy ancient thread, Batman! The last post here...I don't even think we had cell phones. We might not even have had cars!

I fell for the Pyramid talk all those moons ago. I strung them up on a guitar of mine and sure enough I found out the criticism of them was true: stiff as heck and thud from the lower strings.

The TI flats play far better than Pyramids, but even those can't compare to the vibrancy of roundwounds. I've come to learn that flatwounds are best for bass guitars. My Hofner with LaBella flats thuds -- and that's what it is supposed to do. Sounds just like Paul's.
Tom, thanks for resurrecting this thread. I love revisiting the comments and putting them in the context of the present. :lol: I don't think that there is any doubt but that there is a string type out there for everyone. That said, Pyramids wore me down over the course of time. I found them to be very stiff and they made demands on the neck of my guitar and the connective tissue in my left hand that was bordering on deleterious. The lesson learned for me was older is not always better. We sometimes romanticize about products from the glory days of old which, when revisited, does not hold up to the standard set by our imagination. Pyramids may not have been the worst years ago, but in my experience they are not the best of today.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

admin wrote:We sometimes romanticize about products from the glory days of old which, when revisited, does not hold up to the standard set by our imagination. .
That says it all. Pyramids have been overly romanticized. Their reputation of fifty years ago is enough to make us all, fifty years later, buy them. We do (especially in the world of music) tend to romanticize the past. You can bet that people everywhere will be buying this pedal twenty years from now:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tommy wrote:
admin wrote:We sometimes romanticize about products from the glory days of old which, when revisited, does not hold up to the standard set by our imagination. .
That says it all. Pyramids have been overly romanticized. Their reputation of fifty years ago is enough to make us all, fifty years later, buy them. We do (especially in the world of music) tend to romanticize the past. You can bet that people everywhere will be buying this pedal twenty years from now:

Hilarious, Tom, but so true!
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

The MapleGlo 330-12 I bought two years ago had a set of flatwound Pyraminds on there when I got it. I hated them and couldn't wait to get rid of them. Just awful, dull sounding strings with no flexibility, and very rough on my hands. I generally dislike flatwound strings on any guitar. They are never bright enough. I'm a big fan of Curt Mangan 10-46 Pick Of The Ricks strings on my Ricks 12s. That's all I use. I tried D'Addarios and found them totally unstable. I use D'Addarios on all my other guitars though. It's all about what you like and don't like.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”