Different Light Show!!!

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

paologregorio

Re: Different Light Show!!!

Post by paologregorio »

collin wrote:
jingle_jangle wrote:I have a poster of that photo in my shop...it's inspirational as I complete my first 12-strring LS conversion for a customer in the UK...

Ah, very cool! I was hoping somebody else would want a 12 string Lightshow conversion sooner or later (I can't be the only guy who thinks it's a good combo!). :)

The 12 strings seem to make the lights react differently than on the six-strings. A bit more random, plus the natural playing style of a 12 string (plucking instead of hard chords), is great for picking out one specific color or another.
Oh, I'll order a 12 string conversion eventually, I'm sure. :)
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

RM's vocal is OK, but the recording is definitely missing the second harmony part which completes the vocal "package". Also, I may be in the minority, but I think that the guitar solo in 8MH - especially in the original recording - is a little rough, to say the least. The Lightshow looks awesome, and the twinkle in RM's eye at the beginning of the song is priceless.
8mileshigh

Post by 8mileshigh »

paologregorio wrote:Oh, I'll order a 12 string conversion eventually, I'm sure. :)
I wonder if you could replace the LED's with regular bulbs?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Sure, if you replace all the circuitry with original boards... :wink:
scotty

Post by scotty »

Graham you could maybe send Paul a pair of yer breeks :mrgreen:
collin

Post by collin »

jingle_jangle wrote:Sure, if you replace all the circuitry with original boards... :wink:
.....and add 1/2" to the entire depth of the guitar body, right? :lol:
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

That depends upon the bulbs used, Collin. If we were building a hypothetical replica, then yes.

Adding 1/2" to the depth of a 330 body would be a nightmare for anyone without a really well-equipped shop.

I'd strip the body of hardware and paint, skim-cut the back of the body .060" (1/16" or 1.5mm) to remove the material down to the edge radius depth, glue a rough-cut piece of maple onto the back about .440" (7/16" or 11mm) thick, pin-route this piece to the inside contour of the LS body, and then glue on another rough-cut .125" (1/8" or 3mm) piece of maple to cap off the back. Then it's back to the router to shape the added maple bits to the proper outside contour.

Here you're limited to Jetglo or very dark Burgundyglo (like most original LSs were), in order to hide the two glue seams running around the circumference of the body.

Of course, then there's the issue of getting rid of the ramp the tailpiece sits on and squaring up that part of the body--not an easy task, as the original LSs were hollowed out under the tailpiece area to allow room for the large heat sink for the three bulb driver SCRs.

Too much work and adaptation for what would basically be a kluged mess...then there's the circuit boards to be built with obsolete technology... makes the $10K+ originals seem like a bargain.
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

stringsncords wrote:RM's vocal is OK, but the recording is definitely missing the second harmony part which completes the vocal "package". Also, I may be in the minority, but I think that the guitar solo in 8MH - especially in the original recording - is a little rough, to say the least. The Lightshow looks awesome, and the twinkle in RM's eye at the beginning of the song is priceless.
I realize that this thread is about the Lightshow axe and not the music, but since you've brought it up: I'd be inclined to agree. McGuinn has stated that the opening solo on 8MH was an attempt to represent Coltrane's "sheets of sound" period (generally late 1950s-early 60s). Well, he sure set his sights high, but IMO, he fell very far short. Still; I can't play it, so there.
Can we have everything louder than everything else?
collin

Post by collin »

jingle_jangle wrote:That depends upon the bulbs used, Collin. If we were building a hypothetical replica, then yes.

Adding 1/2" to the depth of a 330 body would be a nightmare for anyone without a really well-equipped shop.

I'd strip the body of hardware and paint, skim-cut the back of the body .060" (1/16" or 1.5mm) to remove the material down to the edge radius depth, glue a rough-cut piece of maple onto the back about .440" (7/16" or 11mm) thick, pin-route this piece to the inside contour of the LS body, and then glue on another rough-cut .125" (1/8" or 3mm) piece of maple to cap off the back. Then it's back to the router to shape the added maple bits to the proper outside contour.

Here you're limited to Jetglo or very dark Burgundyglo (like most original LSs were), in order to hide the two glue seams running around the circumference of the body.

Of course, then there's the issue of getting rid of the ramp the tailpiece sits on and squaring up that part of the body--not an easy task, as the original LSs were hollowed out under the tailpiece area to allow room for the large heat sink for the three bulb driver SCRs.

Too much work and adaptation for what would basically be a kluged mess...then there's the circuit boards to be built with obsolete technology... makes the $10K+ originals seem like a bargain.
Yeah...sounds like it'd be easier to salvage the neck and parts, and make a new body from scratch (which is what you'd mostly be doing anyways....).

I also agree that with all the work and money building up the circuits and the body etc......just buy an original. The prices are going down on them for sure.
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

That Lightshow of McGuinn's is the biggest reason I want a lightshow. Mine will not be a 12 string but it will be somewhat unique in its own way... which might effect how the lights perform! It is still awaiting construction by Paul, while we search for a Midnight Blue guitar to convert.

Seeing these pictures/videos is making me crazy in anticipation!
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

scoobster28 wrote:That Lightshow of McGuinn's is the biggest reason I want a lightshow. Mine will not be a 12 string but it will be somewhat unique in its own way... which might effect how the lights perform! It is still awaiting construction by Paul, while we search for a Midnight Blue guitar to convert.
I finally received by Lightshow conversion from Paul and it is indeed different as I noted above. Instead of the typical 330MID guitar, I had my pickups switched for toasters (nothing special there) and then I had the regular tailpiece switched for an Accent. From what Paul has said, I own the first 335 (330 + 5) lightshow conversion out there. I haven't played it much yet, but it looks fantastic and I love it. I doubt I will ever use the Accent much but they make Rickenbackers look really cool.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

A few more days and you would have had a 7 year itch!

No pics??? Video???

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”