Bolt-on Ric necks

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

TheWonders

Bolt-on Ric necks

Post by TheWonders »

How many models of Ric guitars have there been with bolt-on necks? I know the 230s are bolt-on as are some of the 400 series - anything else?
collin

Re: Bolt-on Ric necks

Post by collin »

Those are the only two that I can think of.

Oddly enough, I don't think bolt necks would make a huge difference in a Ric's sound (though they do look cheesy, IMO.....it is a cost cutting move), as Rickenbacker's don't seem to rely on the kind of long sustain you benefit from with a set neck, Gibson etc...
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

The ones I can think of off the top of my head:

Model 430
Model 480
Model 481
Model 4080 doubleneck (although IIRC one or both necks are also glued)
Model 2030 bass
Model 3000 bass
Model 3001 bass
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

The 4080 had set necks the first year, which were a disaster, so thhey started adding the bolts, iirc.
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

Don't forget the 220, 2020, 230, 250, 2050, 260, & 2060.
RutleDirk
Veteran RRF member

Post by RutleDirk »

collin wrote:...Rickenbacker's don't seem to rely on the kind of long sustain you benefit from with a set neck, Gibson etc...
:shock: Huh?
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

This is my 430. It has the best sustain of all my ricks. :)
All I wanna do is rock!
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

The 430 that I once had also had an incredible amount of sustain. But so do my 450v63 JG and my 460 BG!
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

collin wrote:Those are the only two that I can think of.

Oddly enough, I don't think bolt necks would make a huge difference in a Ric's sound (though they do look cheesy, IMO.....it is a cost cutting move), as Rickenbacker's don't seem to rely on the kind of long sustain you benefit from with a set neck, Gibson etc...
My 480 has has excellent sustain and it definitely has the Ric sound. Also consider that if any damage to the neck occurs, it may be easier to repair once removed, or if too severe, have a luthier make a new one.
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies
eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Post by eatswodo »

I don't think there has ever been a single credible study anywhere to confirm that differences in neck attachment method have anything to do with sustain.

There are simply too many other variables at play in guitar construction to come to any definitive conclusions.

This silly debate goes on in acoustic guitar circles all the time between the dovetail vs. bolt-on camps, and it's about as meaningless there as it is here.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

There've been more than one credible study indicating that, in fact, bolt-on necks sustain better than set necks, measurably but not audibly.

Luthier and scientist R.M. Mottola decided to test the received wisdom that set necks sustain better, and he published his surprising results in the American Lutherie journal. He made three instruments that differed only in their neck joint construction (through, set or bolt-on). He then carried out power analysis, spectrographic analysis, and listening evaluation on these instruments.The power analysis results suggest that the relationship between sustain and neck joint type was the opposite of the received wisdom on neck joints. Bolt-on necks had the longest sustain and neck through designs had the shortest sustain.

The study also included listening evaluations, where people listened to recordings of single notes and tried to pick out the longest sustaining note. They could not detect any difference in sustain between the different neck designs.

People may have played a set-neck Les Paul and found it to sustain better than a Fender Strat and then jumped to the conclusion that set necks sustain better. What they should have done is compared a set neck Les Paul with a bolt-on Les Paul before reaching their conclusion. (How about a set-neck Strat?)

Reference Mottola, R.M. “Sustain and Electric Guitar Neck Joint Type” American Lutherie #91, 2007, p. 52.
collin

Post by collin »

jingle_jangle wrote:
People may have played a set-neck Les Paul and found it to sustain better than a Fender Strat and then jumped to the conclusion that set necks sustain better. What they should have done is compared a set neck Les Paul with a bolt-on Les Paul before reaching their conclusion. (How about a set-neck Strat?)

Yup.

That's pretty much what I've done. My LP sustains far longer than my Fenders (same with ES-335), so I guess I "bought-in" to the set-neck conclusion. I just trust my ears.

Interesting.....
eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Post by eatswodo »

I stand corrected re the studies. That will teach me to post sweeping statements late at night when I really should be in bed.

The quoted study does serve to stand the conventional wisdom somewhat on its head - at least for the three instruments that the author constructed. Whether it would be the same for another set of three instruments using a different basic construction method (for example 'Les Paul' style vs 'Strat' style) is debatable. Interesting also that the listening tests revealed no differences.
collin

Post by collin »

eatswodo wrote: There are simply too many other variables at play in guitar construction

I definitely agree there-----The break angle, nut, and especially bridge (and what type of material it's made of) have a LOT to do with a guitar's sustain. Methinks the Gibson ToM bridge is responsible for a great deal of it, too....but I'm no scientist. :wink:
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

There is a substantial difference, speaking from the psychoacoustic perspective, between playing two (even identical) instruments yourself and noting your impressions, and playing them for listeners in a blind test under controlled circumstances. I think it is exactly this difference that lies at the foundation of "received wisdom" and actuality, in cases such as this.

Still, it gets more comforting as more independent studies concur in their conclusions.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”