Factory "seconds"?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: Factory "seconds"?

Post by cjj »

I'm sure a retailer or distributor can sell off stuff they have in stock that's less than perfect, so called "scratch and dent" stuff. Perhaps they mean that it's their own "B" stock...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I agree. Most likely these got damaged in shipping to the UK and it is cheaper for Rosetti to sell them off at a large discount to a dealer than to send them back for an exchange. Or, something to this effect.
jsm610
Intermediate Member

Post by jsm610 »

second.jpg
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Aha.
jsm610
Intermediate Member

Post by jsm610 »

Aha
"Take on Me"
scotty

Post by scotty »

Interesting! What was this attached to?
jsm610
Intermediate Member

Post by jsm610 »

Interesting! What was this attached to?
Custom guitar returned to the factory... I'm guessing.
Rickadelphia

Post by Rickadelphia »

Just a guess, but those cases appear to be damaged as opposed to "2nds" or "B stock". To me , factory "2nds" or "B stock" are typically manufacturing defects that may not effect function or playability but would prevent them from being sold at full price. Me thinks that the seller is just trying to not take a complete loss on those cases and at a hefty price at that. I don't believe that Rickenbacker would ship anything in that condition.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

This tag would have been from instruments used during sales calls by independent reps some years ago. Rather than return sales samples to the factory, the reps were authorized to sell them to dealers when they were done with them. These would have left the factory in perfectly good condition- maybe even handpicked since they were going on display- but were subject to normal wear and tear of transportation, handling, and demonstration on the road.
goldsman

Post by goldsman »

My 1974 - 360 also has a "second" marking on the back of the headstock. I had a conversation with John Hall years ago (on a USENET News forum of all places!) and he told me the same thing which he said in an earlier post. Since I bought it used in ~1994 or so, I'm not sure if this may have been done by someone due to a minor cosmetic issue (there was/is a quarter-sized finish imperfection on the body) but nothing else about the guitar was problematic at the time. Other than a pickup which ******* out on me recently (which spurred me to acquire some toasters!) - it's been a great guitar - I don't care about how the marking might affect the value because I'm never going to sell it.
_DSF1768.JPG
-Mike
goldsman

Post by goldsman »

BTW - I believe this engraving is actually "Segund" not "Second" - which adds to the mystery?
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

IMO, the vowel is clearly an "o", not a "u".
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
goldsman

Post by goldsman »

Of course! My bad - So what could "Segond" mean?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

There is probably not much to discuss with that. Could be the C was worn out so they used the G, or the extra part is really just a little chunk of wood that popped out, making the C look like a G, etc etc.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”