Shaded BLue 365 OS replica

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

libratune
Veteran RRF member

Re: Shaded BLue 365 OS replica

Post by libratune »

leftybass wrote: This particular Shaded-Blue Rickenbacker is the only one I've seen finished blue in this particular way---meaning the shading is only slightly transparent, if at all. To my eye, it is a solid color of light blue.

The other Shaded Blue guitars I know of (made around 1969-70) are more of a glow-style, closer to the modern Blue-Burst COY Rickenbacker instruments. IIRC, there were at least 3 of these, and one of them was a 381....John Williams may know for sure. Pics exist.
Yes, John, you're right and those are good points. The Shaded Blue guitar discussed in this thread (the original, which I tried to replicate) was done in an opaque light blue and therefore doesn't "burst" well, as there is no transparency to the solid color. There is only a very slight gradation where the blue stops and the MG shows through underneath.

John Williams has shared with me photos of "shaded trans blue" Ricks that look more like Bluebursts -- dark blue around the edges bursting into a lighter blue (almost green) in the middle, with a translucent finish.

Here are two shots of a really interesting vintage 381 in shaded "trans" blue with bound headstock, Accent TP and inlaid (?) soundhole (look at the wood grain). The other is a 370-12 from 1999 that is also done up like a Blueburst but appears to be more opaque in the middle than the 381.
Rickenbacker381-1.jpg
Rickenbacker381-3.jpg
Rick 370-12 Shaded Blue 1999.jpg
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Ron, post away. I love these guitars!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I love it Ron. That's a great looking guitar and of course as many of you know, any MG guitar that gets painted a great colour is alright by me. :mrgreen:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
8mileshigher

Shaded Blue 365 OS replica

Post by 8mileshigher »

Double Bound .... Toasters .... Full Width Inlays ... and a unique shade of Blue ....
I like it ! :) Thanks for sharing.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Drool drool! Gorgeous! :)
trosse

Post by trosse »

blue330 wrote:Let me say that I never owned that guitar! It belonged to my ex-wife, and i used it a fair bit on some records, but it went with her and she sold it. i never would have parted with that one (the guitar, that is)! It was the best old Rickenbacker i ever played- great sound, a guitar that lived up to all the "old guitar" expectations!

I would say that the replica is in general a bit more vivid that the original, and I recall a fair bit of blue right into the center. I think the color was just a bit greyer, or softer, or maybe it just just aged into something like that.
Wifes leaving is one thing... but guitars going with her... that's a horror scenario :D I would have to see mine twice a week - like the kids...

I remember an old Jimi Hendrix quotation going something like this: "When a girl left you... you always had the guitar to turn to..." and those days btw most of us - even big stars - only owned one guitar.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Nice 365, Ron! :)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

Awesome Ron!

You're giving me some RAS for a Shaded Green OS model................................I'm pretty sure I could make that happen......... :shock: :?: :idea: :)
collin

Post by collin »

libratune wrote:
Here are two shots of a really interesting vintage 381 in shaded "trans" blue with bound headstock, Accent TP and inlaid (?) soundhole (look at the wood grain).

What the?

That's one of the most interesting later 60's Rics i've ever seen -- who knows the story on that guitar? Anybody here ever own it? Original configuration?

If so, that's a one-off if I ever saw one.

Ron -- nice 365OS replica. I too think the color transition is a bit too transparent and abrupt, but i'm suspecting it looks different in person, and again in 10 years....? Closer to the M.Easter guitar than anything else out there, at least!
wittyair

Post by wittyair »

Ron....tremendous idea and extremely well carried out!! I've got an MG 381.....what say we try to match that picture above????
scotty

Post by scotty »

I like it Ronn! 8)
fabandgear

Post by fabandgear »

Photography or finish, that is still one boss guitar! Now, wonder what one would look like in yellowglo?
"When I kill, its on direct orders from Her Majesty's government." -007
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I had heard about that 381, with the faux sound hole, but had never seen photos of that guitar before. Thanks for posting! :)

I hope it's still a semi-hollow/thin-line 381, otherwise it must weigh a ton!
sleepingtiger

Post by sleepingtiger »

Beautiful!

Tony

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”