John Fogarty 325

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

trosse

Re: John Fogarty 325

Post by trosse »

collin wrote:
trosse wrote:
F-holes was a Rickenbackers idea - not Rose, Morris' - as they believed f-holes better suited the European market.
Source, please.

Well it was a Rose, Morris idea. But it was only a demand in 1964 and 1965. From then on Rose, Morris did not require f-holes (The History of Rickenbacker Guitars by Richard R. Smith, 1987, page 219. That's was because it was faster to ship ordinary US homemarket models. But Rickenbacker continued delivering F-hole guitars along with slash hole ones.

Lennons 325/12 on the other hand had an F-hole and a fireglo finish
Nope.

His 325/12 was Jetglo....with no f-hole. You want a picture of it? :)
:o) It was Jetglo - I believe I accidently wrote fireglo because I was studying a picture in the beforementioned book of a fireglo 325 like JL's...
I think JL is playing his 12 string 325 on Ticket To Ride in the movie.
Tele295

Post by Tele295 »

Sorry to resurrect a zombie thread, but....

Did Rickenbacker ever make or consider making a Fogerty signature 325 with 2 toasters, PAF, and Bigsby?
If I'm not with you
I'm not so much of a man
I'm like a fish on the sand
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tele295 wrote:Sorry to resurrect a zombie thread, but....

Did Rickenbacker ever make or consider making a Fogerty signature 325 with 2 toasters, PAF, and Bigsby?
You have to imagine that Rickenbacker would have been thrilled to have a John Fogerty 325 in Fireglo as they have had agreements with many artists over the years. Had this model materialized, I would have expected a high demand and many sales for RIC.

I have no inside information on this subject beyond what I have seen written on this Forum over the years. I am, therefore, cleared only to rumour here. But ... I will speculate in any case.

It was discussed here a long time ago that John Fogerty wanted some work done on his 325. You would have to imagine with the modifications and frequent playing over the years that this instrument could have required a few adjustments. :lol: As the story goes Fogerty asked RIC to do the work but it would seem that RIC declined to provide the service. I am not sure the reason for the refusal was conflict between the parties or scheduling the time at the Factory. There have been, it must be said, many requests for custom work over the years and Mr. John Hall has hastened to remind us that the Factory was operating at 100 Percent capacity and as such could not take on anything more. There would be another complication, however, in that RIC would probably not want to have a Rickenbacker with an ACME truss rod cover. I do not know that there were serious talks in the works but one would have to imagine, given the notoriety of John Fogerty that a signature model was considered. To speculate further though, it has been said that Forgerty stepped back from discussions as RIC would not help him out with the guitar.

I do hope that one day, John Hall will publish a book to fill in the details of this story and many others that would be of great interest to the members here. I would like to hear the details behind the Jackson Browne model which stopped at the prototype stage, for example. John Fogerty and Mr. Hall if you are out there, pleased give it another go. It is a chapter of RIC history that I hope can be rewritten. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
engineer909

Post by engineer909 »

I originally thought that the reissue of the 1996 model in 2006 might have been a nod to Fogarty, but I guess it was more for the ten minutes Lennon played it late 64. Maybe Ric thought you could do the Fogarty modifications with this model.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

engineer909 wrote:I originally thought that the reissue of the 1996 model in 2006 might have been a nod to Fogarty, but I guess it was more for the ten minutes Lennon played it late 64. Maybe Ric thought you could do the Fogarty modifications with this model.
I have thought the same thing, Richard. Alas, I was unable to become comfortable with the short scale. :!:
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
pauleway

Post by pauleway »

I have thought the same thing, Richard. Alas, I was unable to become comfortable with the short scale. :!:[/quote]

The 325(1996) models were short scale "Beginner-Student" guitars, and Lennon probably didn't even know the difference, he just bought the guitar he liked the looks of, and was what he could afford at the time.
My brother worked at a music store, and when Rickenbacker made the 325 available, he said guys complained they wouldn't stay in tune, and you had to put heavy gauge strings on(12's) for them to stay in tune!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

pauleway wrote:I have thought the same thing, Richard. Alas, I was unable to become comfortable with the short scale. :!:

The 325(1996) models were short scale "Beginner-Student" guitars, and Lennon probably didn't even know the difference, he just bought the guitar he liked the looks of, and was what he could afford at the time.
My brother worked at a music store, and when Rickenbacker made the 325 available, he said guys complained they wouldn't stay in tune, and you had to put heavy gauge strings on(12's) for them to stay in tune![/quote]

Paul: Another fine example of "one can probably get used to most things especially if other alternatives are not readily available. In the very beginning I had a Fender Duosonic which is a short scale. It would be a little while before I realized that it was cramping my style. :roll: Also, trying to bend heavy gauge strings can be a challenge.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”