Flatwound strings on a guitar?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

stsang

Re: Flatwound strings on a guitar?

Post by stsang »

Folkie wrote:Very good question, Simon. The 330/12 currently has hi gains, while the 360/12 has 7.4K toasters. I say "currently" because I just ordered up a new pair of scatterwounds (and black covers to match the black hardware) from POTR, and am planning to swap the pickups on the 330. It may very well be that the toasters will give the guitar too much brightness, even harshness, with the roundwound strings, although when I reach treble overload on my 360, I usually just back down on the small fifth knob, and that tempers things a little. The nickelwounds do have one advantage, in my experience, and that's that they're more comfortable to play at very low action. But I've been spoiled by the sound of the scatterwounds, so I just HAD to try them on my 330! :lol:

Robert
Robert, as always, you have something very interesting going on. :wink: Please let us know your experiences with the 7.4K scatterwounds + roundwounds on your 330/12. Unlike most others, I have no experience with the high gain pickups. When I got my 360/12, it already had 12K toasters on it, and I ended up putting 7.4K toasters on it (which is what I've stayed with for several months now). I'm really curious if your 360/12 and 330/12 will end up sounding near-indistinguishable if you have the same pickups and strings on both. Thanks!
2010 360/12c63 FG
2002 360/12 MG (mod with 7.4K scatterwound toasters, push/pull switch for 0.0047uF bridge cap)
Folkie
Advanced Member

Re: Flatwound strings on a guitar?

Post by Folkie »

Simon, I doubt I'll part with the roundwounds on the 330/12, because that guitar plays like a dream, and the intonation with the six-saddle bridge is spot on. The two guitars may sound similar, but I expect they will continue to feel and play differently. Plus, each one has a very different look and a different vibe! Will keep you posted! :wink:

Robert

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”