450/12 few questions

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

emeenz

450/12 few questions

Post by emeenz »

Hey all,

I recently acquired a 1981 450/12, specifically this guitar: http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... p?id=17042

The previous owner had it set up as a 6 string, and I gotta say it is a GREAT sounding/playing guitar as a 6 string, but I gotta get it back to a 12. He also replaced the original hi-gain bridge pickup (which broke I guess) with Ric humbucker. A little strange but it sounds great. The neck pickup is significantly louder than the bridge though, but the middle position sounds really nice, which makes me not want to mess with it.

It seems like I should be able to find this info easier, but I'm having a tough time finding out exactly what scale length this guitar has! Would anyone here be able to help me out with that info?

Also, I've read a lot about the different kinds of 12string strings I could put on it, but I haven't seen anything specific about the 450/12. People always talk about the 330 and 360 12s. If it is in fact a shorter scale guitar than the others, would the regular old rickenbacker strings do? I'll probably stick with roundwound, although I am toying with going flat.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
emeenz

Re: 450/12 few questions

Post by emeenz »

nobody?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Scale: 24 3/4", same as 330, 360, etc.

Strings: do you like roundwounds or flatwounds?
emeenz

Post by emeenz »

Thanks! It seems so much smaller and easier to play than my 330, I guess it's just the shape of the neck.

On bass I swear by flatwounds, but usually with electrics I go with roundwounds. I'll most likely put roundwounds on the 450/12 but am toying with the idea of flats.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Flats like Thomastic-Infelds will yield more vintage-style chime (accentuating the octave strings) and rounds will give you a bit more twang with the more lively primary strings. Both sound pretty darned nice and it's a matter of what sort of sound and feel you like. There is also a very good chance that you can switch between the two types (like the standard RIC round set and the TI flats package that Pick of the Ricks sells) with very little in the way of adjustment needed. I've been able to do it with nothing more than about one quarter of a turn on the truss rods.
YukonCor55

Post by YukonCor55 »

I'm a recent 450/12 owner myself but I've played/owned Ric and other brand 12 string guitars for years. I'm sold on D'Addario XL's 10-46. Good blend between octave and primary strings' tone and they are true from set to set. My Ric necks seem to love 'em. By the way, congrats on the sweet 450. :D
"The credit belongs to the man in the arena..."
'75 450/12 BG
'78 4001 AG
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Byrds = flatwounds; anything more modern = roundwounds. I'm more of a Smiths guy so its rounds for me on a 12'er.
emeenz

Post by emeenz »

Thanks for the info folks. I use D'Addarios on most of my guitars and really like the consistency and quality. I might just go with the D'Addario 10-46 12 string set. I would normally say I lean more towards the Byrds side of things than the Smiths but I celebrate 12 stringing of all generations ;)

Here's some of my latest 12 string recording, although it is acoustic. Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYHtxOl7q74
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Note that the humbucker neck pickup will have significantly more midrange and more harmonics than the usual single coil toasters and hi-gains. On a 12er and especially a solid body 12er, you're going to get some odd harmonics. IMO Rick 12s sound better with "thinner" pickups. A solid bodied guitar will make the differences more obvious. Hence, the extra expense of nickel T-I strings may not be worth it with the combo of humbucker and solid body on a 12er.
emeenz

Post by emeenz »

UPDATE

After stringing the guitar up with a full 12 string set I found that the nut had a problem with the low E popping off and some intonation problems so I decided to have a friend guitar tech give it a good once over. He cut a new nut, cleaned up the frets, and most importantly added a 12 saddle bridge. The guitar is now one of the easiest and nicest playing 12 strings I've come across! The pickup combination is definitely strange but I actually think it makes the guitar sound unique and awesome. I just used it on a short tour and the thing barely ever went out of tune! I love it. Thanks for all your input.
emeenz

Post by emeenz »

Hi Folks,

I'm back here with another question regarding this great guitar. First off, it has moved with me across the country and we are both residing happily in Los Angeles, home of so much 12 string wonder. I still love this guitar and everyone else who plays it agrees it is a unique specimen.

As stated above, when I got the guitar it was equipped with a Hi-Gain in the neck and a Rick Humbucker in the bridge. While this has generally been fine for me, I am interested in swapping both out for toasters. I know there are many discussions on this topic, but none really about swapping the pickups in a 450, which has the pickups mounted beneath the large pickguard.

My main question is, would any ol' Ric Toaster fit in these cavities?

Also, does anyone have experience with swapping pickups on this particular model, or have any tips?

I am most likely going to take it to a tech in the Los Angeles area to do it for me, so recommendations are welcome! Also, if anyone has a pair of toasters they would like to sell/trade please get in touch (I just made a for trade post in the marketplace as well)

Thanks!

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”