The best money I ever spent

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

The best money I ever spent

Post by loverickbass »

Mastery Bridge. Sustain for days, intonation spot on. Looks good too. It's a shame they don't make one for bass.

Cole
Attachments
46e370cb-df08-434c-bfa2-ff8b197a2f6d_zpsd6b0ced3.jpg
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: The best money I ever spent

Post by sloop_john_b »

Beautiful piece of kit.
cestlamort

Post by cestlamort »

I lucked out by finding one on the local craigslist and couldn't be happier with it. It seems to make my 360 seem a bit more alive (and a bit more "solid" with a good deal more sustain).
eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Post by eatswodo »

Lovely piece of functional engineering.

It's a shame they don't make one for a 12-string.
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

They also work quite nicely with an Accent. I bought a batch of them and am working my way through getting them installed. Plan to put them on anything with hi-gains or Accents (except the '68 365) and a few others.
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

But they don't seem to work with a wound G string.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

My Ed Roman bridge will take a wound G string, has the strings in the proper radius, has individual adjustment for each strings intonation, and is chrome plated brass :wink:
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

iiipopes wrote:But they don't seem to work with a wound G string.
Fortunately, I don't like wound G's.... :wink:
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Ric5150 wrote:
iiipopes wrote:But they don't seem to work with a wound G string.
Fortunately, I don't like wound G's.... :wink:
Yes, where reasonable players may differ. I haven't used a plain G string since the late '70's, when on a set of Boomers 10-46 I had to custom-order wound 18's decades before they became a standard offering from GHS. Now I use D'Addario 115W's 11-49 as a go-to set when I'm not using flats, and even on my 360-12 which I string with 9's, I use a D'Addario 17w or 18w (yes, they do make the odd gauges) for the unison G string.
rictite

Post by rictite »

I've used a Mastery bridge on my 325c58 with TI Jazz Swing 12s, and the wound G wasn't a problem. Maybe that's because of the short scale? I'm assuming that the issue with the wound G was about intonation, because there didn't seem to be any problem with seating the wound G. Heavier gauge wound G, maybe?

I kept the Mastery on the 325 for about six months and then went back to the Rick roller bridge. I liked the added depth and sustain (both of those qualities relative to the attenuated tones of the 325) but I like the original sound too--more Rick aura in the high end, less emphatic low end, a more even balance between low and high strings. I'll probably alternate between the two bridges as time goes on--sometimes you feel like a roller bridge, sometimes you don't...

Your mileage will definitely vary with a Mastery installed on a more mainstream Rick.
Rickadelphia

Post by Rickadelphia »

Was having some buzzing issues with the stock bridge on my 620/6. The height adjustment screws would sometimes get loose and buzz. The Mastery would certainly cure that problem...but I just don't have the $$$ at this time for that much of an investment so I did the old clear nail polish fix (dabbed clear nail polish on the contact points on the height screws). Everything stays put now and no more buzz....but I'd get a Mastery if I could afford one. Question: does anyone know if the stock Rick bridge cover will fit the Mastery (Mastery does make a cover...but it costs extra)?
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

It does fit, it just looks funky.
VA Pilot

Post by VA Pilot »

My bridge has buzzed since my 360 was new this past December. Wonder if the Mastery bridge is the solution. Seems a shame it could not come from the factory without the buzz.
Dom

Post by Dom »

VA Pilot wrote:My bridge has buzzed since my 360 was new this past December. Wonder if the Mastery bridge is the solution. Seems a shame it could not come from the factory without the buzz.
For a buzz the first thing I check is if the springs on the height adjustment screws are too short or loose. Also if one height adjust screw is just a little loose you get one there.
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

I put one on my 345, must say: super!

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”