Changing Strings on a 12. Does anyone...

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Changing Strings on a 12. Does anyone...

Post by squirebass »

else change the strings on their 12 by removing all strings, then stringing the strings that go in the trough, then strings on the posts?
On my 660/12 I find it really frustrating doing it any other way....
theonemanband

Re: Changing Strings on a 12. Does anyone...

Post by theonemanband »

Hi,
I presume you're referring to the "R" tailpiece, if so do what I did on my 620/12..................swap it out for a trapeze style; much easier for a complete re-string, but an absolute necessity for replacing a broken string quickly, mid-gig.

PS. my 620/12 has the open style headstock which I find also contributes to slightly easier stringing.
Last edited by theonemanband on Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
only my opinion of course!
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

theonemanband wrote:Hi,
I presume you're referring to the "R" tailpiece, if so do what I did on my 620/12..................swap it out for a trapeze style; much easier for a complete re-string but an absolute necessity for replacing a broken string quickly mid-gig.
No, my 660/12 has the trapeze, so it isn't such an issue. I was just wondering if anyone had a way of working those strings into the troughs on headstock without taking all of them off at once.
theonemanband

Post by theonemanband »

Sorry, I mis-understood.

As I said my 620/12 has the open style headstock so I can't be of much help, but there is one really good You Tube video (amongst the many) of a guy doing a Ricky-12 re-string. He uses a capo and does side one (strings 1-6) first and then side two (strings 7-12). I found it very informative and a great help; good luck!
only my opinion of course!
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Thanks everyone. I ended up doing it the same way I have before (removing all the strings, then putting on the six that go into the trough, then putting on the six that go into the posts) and that worked fine. A bit of an ordeal, but hey, its worth it for the 12 string sweetness that comes with a fresh new set of strings! :D :D
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

That's how I do it. Piece of cake.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=378067&p=390354&hil ... ge#p390354

The trapeze may look like the best option, but still leaves you with the problem of the headstock. In the link above I outline a complicated but surefire order for R tailpiece 12ers. Don't take off all 12 strings at once! That's bush league. Laughable, man! :lol:
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

kennyhowes wrote:That's how I do it. Piece of cake.
Most of the ordeal for me was the fact that the string winders I have don't play well with the keywinds on the Rick, so I end up winding by hand. Does anyone know of a suitable tool that works better? I've been using those standard Guitar Center winders, the plastic ones that seem to bind/hang with the Rick tuners.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

squirebass wrote:
kennyhowes wrote:That's how I do it. Piece of cake.
Most of the ordeal for me was the fact that the string winders I have don't play well with the keywinds on the Rick, so I end up winding by hand. Does anyone know of a suitable tool that works better? I've been using those standard Guitar Center winders, the plastic ones that seem to bind/hang with the Rick tuners.
Is that string winder the same one as the one made by Planet Waves? I use one of those, and have no problems with fit.
JimK
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

James, I'm not sure if they are Planet Waves winders, but they are the cheaper plastic ones I bought at GC, but I'm thinking it might be easier if I did the string change on a dedicated workbench, rather than having to do it on my coffee table!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

[quote="squirebass"...I'm thinking it might be easier if I did the string change on a dedicated workbench, rather than having to do it on my coffee table![/quote]
Your coffee table can become a dedicated workbench........... :wink:
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

jps wrote:[quote="squirebass"...I'm thinking it might be easier if I did the string change on a dedicated workbench, rather than having to do it on my coffee table!
Your coffee table can become a dedicated workbench........... :wink:[/quote]

Yep, the coffee table IS already a dedicated workbench, but it isn't ergonomically designed for optimal string winding operations!
bvstudios

Post by bvstudios »

I use this. Works on the kitchen table, coffee table or even my computer desk (If I can clean enough space!). Then I roll it up and put it back in the tube.

PS- not my guitar. Borrowed the pic from an EBay ad.
Attachments
Fretrest SX466_.jpg
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

bvstudios wrote:I use this. Works on the kitchen table, coffee table or even my computer desk (If I can clean enough space!). Then I roll it up and put it back in the tube.

PS- not my guitar. Borrowed the pic from an EBay ad.
Cool, thanks for the tip. I'm looking into this now....
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

I never change strings on my 330-12. It goes to my tech and he does it. I wouldn't even try. Guaranteed screw up.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”