Changing Strings on a 12. Does anyone...

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

larry mal

Re: Changing Strings on a 12. Does anyone...

Post by larry mal »

I have a twelve string Taylor acoustic, and I'd never bother with anything except locking tuners for that. I can't believe the hassle people to through when all they'd really need to do is put a string through a hole and tighten a button.

So the Rickenbacker situation with the open headstock, looks pretty terrifying to me.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

larry mal wrote:I have a twelve string Taylor acoustic, and I'd never bother with anything except locking tuners for that. I can't believe the hassle people to through when all they'd really need to do is put a string through a hole and tighten a button.

So the Rickenbacker situation with the open headstock, looks pretty terrifying to me.
Well....it's a little more involved with a Rickenbacker 12 string guitar.
JimK
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

I find it well worth the extra $$$ to leave the restringing to my trusted guitar tech. Keep in mind that I almost never bend notes on my 12-strings (and when I do, on songs like "Why" and "I Know My Rider," I only bend in half-steps), so I don't break strings. A set of compressed roundwounds will last me a year, while a set of TI Flats, which are known for their longevity, might last me at least twice as long.

That's what guitar techs are for: to take over the pain in the *** aspects of these remarkable instruments, and allows us to concentrate on our music. Just my two cents!

Robert
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

To counter that, I could not see ever paying someone to put strings on my instruments. :shock:
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

I restring all my 6-strings, but not my Rick 12's.
bvstudios

Post by bvstudios »

I've been re-stringing 12`s for decades, acoustics since the 60's and my Ric for about 5 yrs, now (I was rather late to the Ric party). My best friends are a foam wedge and a capo.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

bvstudios wrote:My best friends are a foam wedge and a capo.
Don't get out much, eh? :twisted:
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Aw geez fellas, is it really that hard to put a set of strings on a Rick 12? :?:
Restringing a Rick 12
by Paul Wilczynski

Restringing any Rick 12--whether with a trap or an "R", is quite easy if you start with the low E and highest E (the topmost and bottommost strings) and tape the tailpiece in place with a soft cloth under it to protect the finish underneath. Tune these up to some tension, so they support the tailpiece and remove the tape and cloth.

Now, work from outermost toward the center tuners, in order on each side:

High E unison
B unison
B unison
G oct
G

then:

Low E oct
A
A oct
D
D oct

If you do them in this order, there's no snaking strings over or under others to prevent interference--they fall into place naturally.
JimK
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

drumbob wrote:I never change strings on my 330-12. It goes to my tech and he does it. I wouldn't even try. Guaranteed screw up.
+1
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

When you own a Rick twelve and don't change strings by yourself then you never really come close to your love. That's a basic feeling. Just my two cents.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

It's never been that hard for me. Granted, I do allow a significant amount of time so I make sure I do it correctly each time it needs to be done - proper order, proper trimming to length for the proper number of turns around the post, proper kinking of the 3/8 inch at the end so it will grab the Klusons properly, etc.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

And, eat your vegemite while changing them.
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

Another helpful hint.

Now that I have 5 electric 12-strings (3 Ricks), I find I don't have to change strings as often as when I just had one. I believe that trend would continue with additional purchases.... :D

Ok, I believe that trend will continue with additional purchases. :wink:
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
bvstudios

Post by bvstudios »

jps wrote:
bvstudios wrote:My best friends are a foam wedge and a capo.
Don't get out much, eh? :twisted:
Well, y'know...

BTW- when I was doing the Celtic Folk thing, I had three twelves with me most every night. One regular, one with a drop D (try doing that in real time on a 12-string!) and one as backup.

My techie charged $60.00 per 12 for a re-string, and as a rule, they all needed re-stringing every 90 days (math- $60 X 3 X 4= W-a-a-y too much money in a year). THAT'S when I made friends with the foam wedge. The capo was already a buddy from years back.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

$60.00 for a restringing is obscene! If I had to pay that much, I'd definitely do it myself.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”