Changing Strings on a 12. Does anyone...

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bvstudios

Re: Changing Strings on a 12. Does anyone...

Post by bvstudios »

Folkie wrote:$60.00 for a restringing is obscene! If I had to pay that much, I'd definitely do it myself.
No argument from me.

But that did include the strings, though, and he always re-checked and tweaked (if needed) the setup. About an hour per guitar was what it worked out to.

So even now, I let him at one of my guitars a year, just to keep things copacetic.

BTW- I'm lunching with my guitar store owner today, so I asked him about the price of strings... Sets for a 6str acoustic just went up, thanks to the dollar. Now one set of Silk n Steels is gonna run $21.00 retail... Will find about 12's at lunch.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

What's for lunch, and how much is it costing? :mrgreen:
bvstudios

Post by bvstudios »

jps wrote:What's for lunch, and how much is it costing? :mrgreen:

If he comes up with the deal I asked for, it's going to save me about $800.00! I gotta wait until the new year, but to save that much, I can be patient.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

bvstudios wrote:
jps wrote:What's for lunch, and how much is it costing? :mrgreen:

If he comes up with the deal I asked for, it's going to save me about $800.00! I gotta wait until the new year, but to save that much, I can be patient.
They say patience is a virtue, but I have no time for that.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

bvstudios wrote:
Folkie wrote:$60.00 for a restringing is obscene! If I had to pay that much, I'd definitely do it myself.
No argument from me.

But that did include the strings, though, and he always re-checked and tweaked (if needed) the setup. About an hour per guitar was what it worked out to.

So even now, I let him at one of my guitars a year, just to keep things copacetic.

BTW- I'm lunching with my guitar store owner today, so I asked him about the price of strings... Sets for a 6str acoustic just went up, thanks to the dollar. Now one set of Silk n Steels is gonna run $21.00 retail... Will find about 12's at lunch.
$60,00 for a full setup (including strings) is another story. It's about the same thing my tech charges. Just got my 381/12v69 back from my tech and it plays and sounds beautiful. 8) 8) 8)
strummersteve

Post by strummersteve »

When replacing strings, I replace first the slotted strings followed by the others. Before that, whether I am using the "R" tailpiece or the Trapeze tailpiece, I place all of the strings in the slots and place a small piece of masking tape on the bottom side or the tailpiece (Especially the "R" tailpiece) to hold them in place and place a cotton diaper underneath to keep the tailpiece from scratching the body. I then place a Kyser Capo with a weakened spring around the 5th or 6th fret to hold everything in place.
The actual order that I restring is:
11-2-9-4-7-6-12-1-10-3-8-5
The reason I do it this way is to balance the "R" or the Trapeze tailpiece while restringing. This works for me and it takes about 15–20 minutes with the older style slotting.
On the newer through the neck slotting, the time is about the same for me.
"A Splendid Time Is Guaranteed For All"
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Thanks Steven, I will give that a try...
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

And if anyone knows a good key winding tool to use with Rick 12 strings, that can work on the vertical as well as the horizontal tuning keys, I'd love to see what you use. It seems that every time I change my strings I have to wind and wind each key by hand because the tools I'm using(Guitar Center basement bargains, El Cheapo TM) don't wanna work....
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

How about the unit from Planet Waves?
bvstudios

Post by bvstudios »

jimk wrote:How about the unit from Planet Waves?
That one works for me.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Thanks guys, I will take a look at that one. The unit I have is a one-size-fits-all thing that works well for six stringers but I can't seem to get it to stay engaged on the slotted keys of the 660/12....

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”