A Subtle Change: A Comparison of Two 480 Necks

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Grey
Advanced Member

A Subtle Change: A Comparison of Two 480 Necks

Post by Grey »

For the moment I have two necks in my posession from two different era's. A FireGlo neck from 1973, and an AutumnGlo neck from 1980.

I've always noticed subtle differences between early model and late model 480 guitars, but until now i've never had two side-by-side to compare so I thought I would take a few pictures while I have the opportunity to do so. In this comparison, the differences between the headstocks become more noticable. The '73 has less "flaring" on the wings and a smaller crest, while the curves on the '80 are a bit more dramatic and the crest is notably thicker.

Another interesting change between these two is the thickness of the neck, something i've talked about before but never had a solid comparison of. In or around 1975 the 480 was changed and given a thicker neck, due to (based on my research) player complaints about it being too skinny and hard to play. I'm still working out the camera setup to illustrate this point so that picture will come later, but for now I have a nice comparison of the two headstocks to share.

One final observation. The '73 has a white nut of unidentified material, possibly bone based on the way it sounds when tapped. Interestingly, this nut is radiused despite the neck being flat. The '80 uses a black bakelite nut which has a flat radius to match the flat fingerboard. Perhaps they had a material shortage when these first came out and were unable to change it until later?
480HeadstockComp.PNG
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: A Subtle Change: A Comparison of Two 480 Necks

Post by jps »

Very interesting thing about the 1980 headstock is that the treble side wing has some nice figuring in it compared to the bass side wing, just like it is on my March '73 4001.
Attachments
Photograph Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2007 All rights reserved
Photograph Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2007 All rights reserved
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

That is interesting! I wonder how many we could find? :D

Here's a bonus image, a 480 neck pocket. This shows how the neck angle is accomplished on these guitars, an unusual feature among Rickenbackers.
480neckangle.PNG
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The neck tongue can't be very thick where it goes under the pickup, I would think.

I see they left a space to put a Strat pickup in the guitar!
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

jps wrote:I see they left a space to put a Strat pickup in the guitar!
LOL! - Or the long magnets of a Toaster. I can't tell from the picture if the rout is wide enough for the bar magnet on the bottom of a high-gain.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

jps wrote:The neck tongue can't be very thick where it goes under the pickup, I would think.

I see they left a space to put a Strat pickup in the guitar!
Funny thing is i've seen people do exactly what you've described. I'll get a photo of the neck tenon as well, later today. :D
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

As promised, here's the neck tenon.
DSC_0002.png
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

What an interesting observation. I look forward to seeing more.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Grey wrote:As promised, here's the neck tenon.
DSC_0002.png
Not much left there, no wonder these were screwed and glued.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

jps wrote:Not much left there, no wonder these were screwed and glued.
I've heard this before, though there's no evidence mine was ever glued.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I am only going by what I have read and heard, too. So, they are not glued in?
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

jps wrote:I am only going by what I have read and heard, too. So, they are not glued in?
All I can say is that neither of these two show any evidence of being glued in. The top screws drive into solid wood behind the 23rd fret, the two under the pickup are a bit shorter.

The tenon gets a bit thin but it's also much longer than what you'd find on most screw-neck instruments, which typically end at the fretboard.
mrsparkle

Post by mrsparkle »

In my experience, the necks are not glued in. I have two 480s and a 481 and none of them are glued.
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

My '73 480 MG and '75 480 AG have their original bridges and it's odd that the '73 has a flatter radius fretboard with a bridge cut for a slight radius and the '75 has a little more radius to the fretboard and the bridge is cut for a flat radius. This is all visual and I really don't notice a difference in playability, but I've often thought about swapping the bridges on these two.

Also, both of these guitars have a black nut while my '73 480 FG has a white nut.
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”