Bridge cover and pickup height on a new 360

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

SDeDanaan

Bridge cover and pickup height on a new 360

Post by SDeDanaan »

(I inadvertently posted this to the General Rickenbacker forum and am reposting here)

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a new JetGlo 360 to keep my old FireGlo 450 company. Liking the action quite low, I went to work lowering the bridge and discovered two little issues. The first is, when lowering the bridge to the point I like (and without buzzing), the high E actually rests on the bridge pickup and, as one of the Marx brothers said 'datsa no good'. The second is when the bridge cover is snugly in place, the bridge cover screws cause the bridge to raise up from where I want it. I know I can easily cure that by either grinding down the screws so they never touch the plate underneath the bridge or by adding a washer to each on so they lock the cover down nicely without protruding through the bridge. The first issue, however, has me perplexed. I need to lower the bridge pickup. I've found the screws that hold the pickup in place (there seem to be six of them) are tighter than a well digger's posterior. Is there a trick that I'm somehow missing here? I've scoured the net looking for information on lowering a pickup on a 360 but have come up short and I'm a bit uneasy about putting my shoulder into it with a screwdriver. Any help, instructions, or tips would be very much appreciated.
krick
Veteran RRF member

Re: Bridge cover and pickup height on a new 360

Post by krick »

It sounds like you like the action lower than I do but that is up to you.

The four corner screws on the pickup are only holding the pickup assembly together and do not extend into the top of the guitar. The center screws on the ends of the pickup are what holds it in place and adjusts it's height. These screws should turn in fairly easily and the foam pad underneath should compress enough to allow you to get the pickup height where you want it. I would recommend being careful so you don't damage the mounting holes in the guitar's top.

This is also mentioned in the RIC Owners Manual on Page 5. http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/manual.pdf
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

OP: please don't post the same things in multiple places with a cross post link or warning. I answered you in the other thread.
SDeDanaan

Post by SDeDanaan »

Thanks for the information. Most helpful!
krick wrote:It sounds like you like the action lower than I do but that is up to you.

The four corner screws on the pickup are only holding the pickup assembly together and do not extend into the top of the guitar. The center screws on the ends of the pickup are what holds it in place and adjusts it's height. These screws should turn in fairly easily and the foam pad underneath should compress enough to allow you to get the pickup height where you want it. I would recommend being careful so you don't damage the mounting holes in the guitar's top.

This is also mentioned in the RIC Owners Manual on Page 5. http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/manual.pdf
SDeDanaan

Post by SDeDanaan »

My apologies. I looked for an option to delete my original post but found none. I will be more careful in the future.
jdogric12 wrote:OP: please don't post the same things in multiple places with a cross post link or warning. I answered you in the other thread.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

No worries! Welcome, btw!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Check your other post as I responded to it with useful information.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”