660 questions

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

soreeyes

660 questions

Post by soreeyes »

hi,
i just bought a 660 for a good price, i have been playing it and set it up best i can, trouble is the all 3 high strings sound dull and muted, the neck is straight, the bridge is as high as it can go, the screws seem shorter than my 1983 620, also noticed it has been strung through the trapeze from underneath, would this make a difference, thanks for any feedback
kharri

Re: 660 questions

Post by kharri »

I just bought a 660, the strings are top to bottom through the tailpiece, but that shouldn't make a difference in the problem you're having.

You may try a different cable, wiggling the cable/connector, different strings. The other possibility could be with the tone pot. There are also some capacitors that you may want to try jumping out to see if they need replacing.
soreeyes

Post by soreeyes »

kharri wrote:I just bought a 660, the strings are top to bottom through the tailpiece, but that shouldn't make a difference in the problem you're having.

You may try a different cable, wiggling the cable/connector, different strings. The other possibility could be with the tone pot. There are also some capacitors that you may want to try jumping out to see if they need replacing.

thanks for the reply, the problem is not when plugged into an amp, it is acoustically, could be the nut seeing as the bridge is at its highest.
kharri

Post by kharri »

could be the nut seeing as the bridge is at its highest.
What if you take the nut out of the loop by fretting. Seems like having the bridge at the highest would not be preferable either.

Have you sighted the neck? Any bow either way?

If it's unplugged then I would say, a new set of strings may help, or make sure that the pieces the strings are resting on (nut/bridge) are resonating properly. Also look at the bridge to plate to guitar making sure the vibration is going through to the wood.
Also make sure the strings are not touching something else (fret, pickup), as this will dull the sound quickly. Sometimes I raise the bridge high then start lowering it.
soreeyes

Post by soreeyes »

kharri wrote:
could be the nut seeing as the bridge is at its highest.
What if you take the nut out of the loop by fretting. Seems like having the bridge at the highest would not be preferable either.

Have you sighted the neck? Any bow either way?

If it's unplugged then I would say, a new set of strings may help, or make sure that the pieces the strings are resting on (nut/bridge) are resonating properly. Also look at the bridge to plate to guitar making sure the vibration is going through to the wood.
Also make sure the strings are not touching something else (fret, pickup), as this will dull the sound quickly. Sometimes I raise the bridge high then start lowering it.
hi, i just set up from scratch, loosened trussrods and lowered bridge, maybe the neck was too straight, anyhow it feels a lot better than it did, i will let it lie for a few days and then see.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Post pics! Way too much going on here to guess blindly.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

*crickets*

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”