New C63- great guitar but short frets!

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Thesisinbold

New C63- great guitar but short frets!

Post by Thesisinbold »

Hi.

Just bought my 3rd Rick. A C63 (for the second time).

I bought it from rocknrguitars.com if you want to see pics of it.

I have to say this is as perfect as a guitar can get. I am curious about the short frets though. How long will it be until I need to get new ones?
collin

Re: New C63- great guitar but short frets!

Post by collin »

Thesisinbold wrote: How long will it be until I need to get new ones?
That depends on how much you play it.

Welcome to the RRF!
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

Mark:

Congrats on the new guitar.

This one is yours presume.

http://rocknrguitars.com/product/george ... 360-12c63/

The frets are a distinctive feature of the Rickenbacker brand. They will last for years. One of my RICS had the frets redone with "Fender" sized fret wire. I hate it and will need to get it redone to RIC spec at some point when funds are available.

Welcome to the RRF by the way...

So what does it sound like plugged in?

Brian
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 MG 450
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
bowser2533

Post by bowser2533 »

I have a C/64.They look the same to me. Anyone know what the difference is in the ,C/63 and ,C/64? Thanks Gary. I love mine!
Thesisinbold

Post by Thesisinbold »

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote:Mark:

Congrats on the new guitar.

This one is yours presume.

http://rocknrguitars.com/product/george ... 360-12c63/

The frets are a distinctive feature of the Rickenbacker brand. They will last for years. One of my RICS had the frets redone with "Fender" sized fret wire. I hate it and will need to get it redone to RIC spec at some point when funds are available.

Welcome to the RRF by the way...

So what does it sound like plugged in?

Brian

It sounds great!
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

bowser2533 wrote:I have a C/64.They look the same to me. Anyone know what the difference is in the ,C/63 and ,C/64? Thanks Gary. I love mine!
Gary, you have a V64. There are many threads comparing the V64 and C63 models. Here's a write-up I did on the differences between a vintage 360/12OS, a 360/12V64 and a 360/12C63:
I wrote:I have played a vintage 360/12 OS, a few 360/12V64s and two 360/12C63s, and they're all completely different animals. One isn't necessarily better than the other. While a vintage 360/12OS is sort of a holy grail and king on many levels, they're not exactly a cheap option, though and not as common as they're rounded-top counterparts. Most need a neck reset, and if they haven't had one, they more than likely already had one.

The V64s are more common, and probably on some level more playable than the other two. With its center-block, modern wiring schemes and flat radius, it is the perfect compromise for vintage looks with modern and easy playability. To boot, they are plentiful and affordable. The pre-1990 models are notorious for needing neck resets (including my own...really need to do something about that...)

The C63 is more vintage-correct, and that can be a good or a bad thing. The vintage wiring includes the dreaded .0047 capacitor, which most of the owners of them that I know have bypassed as soon as the guitar arrives. The curved radius isn't everybody's cup of tea, either. However, they are of high workmanship and are as close as one can get to a vintage 360/12OS.

I'm a huge George Harrison fan by all accounts, but I certainly don't let him and his use of his 1963 360/12 dictate my decision for why I bought mine. I bought it because it was about to closest thing to a Rose Morris 1993 as a I could ever afford and Jdog is such a good friend that I knew I couldn't go wrong if I bought from him. Six years later, I still have and play that guitar.

Funny story that seems it'll fit in to the discussion: I brought my V64 to a guitar show for display and it sat on a table with a 350 Lennon signature model, my Gretsch Tennessean and a Hofner Beatle bass. Seems like a familiar set of instruments from some concert...

If that doesn't help you, here are some other threads:
viewtopic.php?f=106&t=397554
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=397277
viewtopic.php?f=106&t=393861
viewtopic.php?f=106&t=390764

There are many more, I'm sure, but these a few to get you started.

As for you, Mark: If you like the guitar, but don't like the frets and intend to use and play it frequently, you should definitely go for it.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”