New 381 V69 that almost spoke to me!

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

dylumph

New 381 V69 that almost spoke to me!

Post by dylumph »

I'm kinda a Gibson 6 stringer & Ric 12 guy & have been for years. I've never had a Ric 6 stringer. I was in a band one time a long time ago where the other guitar player had one of those 625 Rics with toasters and he could NEVER get a good tone through a tube amp. He'd use a rat distortion of some kind that sounded like a Caterpiller D9.
Today we had our annual guitar show in Charlotte & I headed there to look for a R4 Gibson Les Paul used. I've been gassin' fr one for a couple years.
All of a sudden this beautiful fireglo 381 V69 caught my eye. It was almost surreal! It is a brand new 09 in perfect condition. I picked it up and strummed it, did a lick or 3 and set it back. I went through the whole place kinda halfway lookin for a Gibson R4 and found a real 54 beat-up all to hell for $20.000 something. I made a bee-line back to that Ric, hooked it up and within a hour, out came the card.
When I got it home, It went into a Marshall DSL40C, A AC30 (with blues) a 59 reissue Bassman, a Hot Rod Deluxe and a Hiwatt DR 103. These toasters have TONE in anything and it plays like a dream!

I just had to share my ULTRA good NGD! Things have been rough for me in the last while & thanks to a well built guitar, I'm SMILIN'!!
superheavydeathmetal

Re: New 381 V69 that almost spoke to me!

Post by superheavydeathmetal »

The RIC mission statement is to spread happiness and joy through good tone. This is the Rickenbacker way.

I am glad that you have gotten some relief from hard times!
Gilmourisgod wrote:I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.
dylumph

Post by dylumph »

Thanks man! I've been playin' this thing all night. Now for the learning how to change strings! It can't be as hard as my 360 12 v64!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

dylumph wrote:Thanks man! I've been playin' this thing all night. Now for the learning how to change strings! It can't be as hard as my 360 12 v64!
Well, there is the R tailpiece vs. the trapeze one...................
dylumph

Post by dylumph »

I've been studying that Jeffery! Any suggestions? At least the tuning pegs will be common!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

No experience here, but (hopefully) some of the ones around here who do have lots of Rick 12 string changes under their panties will come along and help you.
dylumph

Post by dylumph »

I'm so thankful I've had quite a few years on the 12 string Ric as I can navigate the knobs on this 381. It is a diferent animal though. I can get more tones out of this thing than my 335 Gibson. The fullness that I can get between the lows and highs is remarkable! The key is remembering knob positions & getting to them quickly. The little knob is very usefull in this. Its a lot of fun figuring these things out on such a beautiful guitar! I'm getting close to string changing time so there is another bridge to cross! I see the "R" tailpiece as a challenge, but I'll whoop it!
kharri

Post by kharri »

I'm assuming you have the 6 string?

Changing strings should not be too bad as long as you don't take them all off at once.
Use some blue painter's tape to hold the string onto the tail, or use a capo or two to hold the tension.

I have a 381 12V69, beautiful guitar. I have not gotten accustom to playing a 12 string yet.
dylumph

Post by dylumph »

Thanks Kevin! That is what I will do- the capo thing! My 381 is a 6 stringer. I've had a 360V64-12 for years and its a bear too, just not in the tailpiece area.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

dylumph wrote:My 381 is a 6 stringer.
Oh, well that is a relative piece of pie (2010 The Year We Make Contact reference).

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”