Locking tuners for 330?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

larry mal

Locking tuners for 330?

Post by larry mal »

Hi all, this is my first post about my first Ric. I put locking tuners on all my guitars, and I'll be putting some on this one. I think these are Schaller M6s on here now, great tuners, and so I'd want the same tuners only locking. I know there are some that use the same form factor but I'm having a little trouble sourcing them quickly.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!
electrofaro

Re: Locking tuners for 330?

Post by electrofaro »

Which year is your guitar? Mine has M6 Mini tuners, afaik... so M6 Mini toplocking would be the ones to go for? :?:
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
larry mal

Post by larry mal »

Thanks for the response! The truth is I don't know what year the guitar is at the moment- I've only been a Ric guy for a couple of weeks now! The guitar is likely within a few years old.

I think I'll go for the Hipshot locking tuners, I've used their stuff before and it's very good. They make something with the same footprint as the Schaller M6s, and the only locking Schaller M6s I find are like $180 bucks. And I have no doubt they are great tuners, but so are the Hipshots for a third of the cost.

So, Hipshot it is.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

larry mal wrote:Thanks for the response! The truth is I don't know what year the guitar is at the moment- I've only been a Ric guy for a couple of weeks now!
What's the serial number?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

jps wrote:What's the serial number?
Because you can enter it at www.rickenbacker.com (under Service, serial number decoder) to find out the month and year. I would not share any serial number publicly.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

larry mal wrote:They make something with the same footprint as the Schaller M6s
Yeah, that should work, indeed, if you mean these:

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.p ... tail&p=380
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
larry mal

Post by larry mal »

Yes, those Hipshot tuners are the ones that I'm referring to. And they do have the same footprint as the M6s, as advertised, and I know because I remember I have an inline-6 set on a project Jaguar neck and pulled one to try it out. It fit with no problem

The other set should as well. It's worth knowing that sometimes the Hipshots have staggered posts, in an effort to eliminate string trees, and sometimes they have all the same size. You'd want all the same size for this (I'm not sure if the 3X3 sets have staggered posts at all).

So, they only cost about $50 or so, and they are a quality made tuner. I have no complaints about the tuners at all, but the grommets and washers are a little more cheaply made than the Schallers are, but you can use the Schallers with the Hipshots if you want.

Like I say, I'm a locking tuner man, and these are becoming my go to locking tuners. Pretty great tuners for the money.
larry mal

Post by larry mal »

BUT:

They don't fit. The shaft isn't long enough, and the string would barely go into the hole in the tuner. Not sure if there's a longer one out there or not, but these certainly don't work. I don't want anybody to actually believe what I say and buy them, they don't work, this isn't a solution.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I've never needed locking tuners on any of the 100+ Ricks I've owned in the last 20 years. I wouldn't put them on just for the sake of maintaining your self-proclaimed identity "locking tuner guy."
larry mal

Post by larry mal »

Hi Jason. When I said I was a "locking tuner guy", it kind of meant that I preferred locking tuners and didn't want to get into yet another stupid debate about whether or not I needed them.

You see, Jason, what happens a lot when you talk about locking tuners is, someone shows up and decides not to talk about the question you asked, but rather to offer an bunch of unsolicited advice about what they use, and how they don't see any need for anything else! Can you believe it? Talk about obnoxious!

Why, it would be like if you asked about a Rickenbacker guitar and somebody started telling you about how they had a Stratocaster, and how they liked that, and so they didn't see any need for you to ask about Rickenbackers! Talk about lame, huh?

Thank God everyone knows that it's poor forum etiquette to not answer someone's question, but instead to give unwanted, unsolicited, and sanctimonious advice about what people should and should not put on their guitars to make them happier.

So we don't have to worry about that here. Thanks, buddy.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

larry mal wrote:Thank God everyone knows that it's poor forum etiquette to not answer someone's question...

So we don't have to worry about that here. Thanks, buddy.
Um, not to put too fine a point on it, Buddy (that's your name, right? :wink: ), but you never did answer my very straightforward question to you! :roll:

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”