Replacing a fret on a 12 String

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

fkalich

Replacing a fret on a 12 String

Post by fkalich »

I have a low fret. It is the 4th fret. How do I know? Well I have eyes, and a brain.

Finger at 2nd fret, clearance over 3rd fret normal
Finger at 3rd fret, clearance over 4h fret abnormally high
Finger at 4th fret, clearance over 5th fret abnormally low
Finger at 5th fret, clearance over 6th fret normal.

Truss rod has neck set to just a little dip, maybe .006 inch. So the cause is not back bow. It might help a bit to put in more bow, but I would have to pay for that at higher frets. It is a low fret, end of story. It is not too bad, just a little noticeable to me. I have a light touch, but I think I could lower my action from 4/64 to 3/64 on the treble side without this issue. 4/64 is not bad, but still it is a 12 string, 3/64 would be nice.

So how big a deal is it have someone replace just one fret, on a neck with binding, any guess on what I should expect to pay for that?
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Replacing a fret on a 12 String

Post by jps »

How low is that fret, is it too low to consider a fret leveling to get all the frets down to that one? A single fret can be replaced but the instrument may be due for a dressing of the frets, anyway. How old is the guitar, any ideas of how played in it is?
strummersteve

Re: Replacing a fret on a 12 String

Post by strummersteve »

jps wrote:How low is that fret, is it too low to consider a fret leveling to get all the frets down to that one? A single fret can be replaced but the instrument may be due for a dressing of the frets, anyway. How old is the guitar, any ideas of how played in it is?

My opinion is that if the fret is much lower, then replace the fret and then a level and polish. If it is just slightly lower, then I would just do the level and polish. This also brings up another discussion,,,,Pleq or hand level? I personally prefer the hand level since all necks are slightly different and the personalized attention to details will compensate for differences in the neck.
"A Splendid Time Is Guaranteed For All"

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”