Advise me on buying a 60's rick

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

holty

Advise me on buying a 60's rick

Post by holty »

I've always steered clear of buying a vintage rick as I know don't what to look out for, and worried about ending up with a bit of an expensive mistake.
However, for no other reason than it being the same year as I was born, I spotted a very clean looking 1967 mapleglo 360 in a dealer shop here in the uk. Advertised as all original with case at £2500 / $3600.

So, any advise would be really appreciated. What should I be looking out for? What's reasonable with price?

Cheers
Rob
strummersteve

Re: Advise me on buying a 60's rick

Post by strummersteve »

holty wrote:I've always steered clear of buying a vintage rick as I know don't what to look out for, and worried about ending up with a bit of an expensive mistake.
However, for no other reason than it being the same year as I was born, I spotted a very clean looking 1967 mapleglo 360 in a dealer shop here in the uk. Advertised as all original with case at £2500 / $3600.

So, any advise would be really appreciated. What should I be looking out for? What's reasonable with price?

Cheers
Rob
Hi Rob.

I can tell you about a few things to look for and I'm sure that others here that more knowledge than I will also chime in. First, I would have the dealer remove the nameplate and make sure that there are 2 truss rods there. Then I would carefully check the neck and make sure that the fret board is not separating from the neck. If you purchase the guitar, do not let the dealer adjust the neck for you. If you tighten a truss rod on a Rickenbacker made prior to late 1984, the fret board may separate from the neck. Neck adjustments are easy to do when done correctly, but that is another thread, This is a start. There are other things that you can look for as well. Again, I'm sure that others will reply to help you.
"A Splendid Time Is Guaranteed For All"
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

Rob:

I only have one 60s era RIC myself, so I am hardly an expert.

But starting place for me would be to get the SN off the jackplate.

I would then check the register here to compare the guitar to others made around the same time frame. (You may even find the guitar that you are considering is in the register already - which may give you some idea of its history).

There are 11 1967 MG 360 guitars in the register that have images.

http://www.rickresource.com/register/ga ... 67&month=0

There are also 8 1967 MG 365 guitars - which is the same guitar but with an accent vibrato instead of the R Tail.

http://www.rickresource.com/register/ga ... 67&month=0

Compare these pictures to the guitar that you are considering. Any obvious changes or things that are not factory standard should become apparent.

Also check that some parts are truly vintage - tuners, wiring (ie dates of the CTS pots) etc. Sometimes guitars got modified and then clever dealers return them back to spec. The most valuable vintage guitars are those that are factory original and unmolested.

If it is a dealer close to you. Play the guitar. That is always the best way to bond with any potential purchase.

Good luck!
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
holty

Post by holty »

Many thanks Simon and Brian for you replies. Hadn't thought about checking out the register so will do, nor the truss rods. I'm hopefully going to get to the dealers this week. Completely agree about needing to bond with the guitar.
Thanks again

Just checked the register, and by the grain pattern, it's this one. Thanks Brian, great suggestion.

http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... lebrity%3D
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

That seems a bit pricey to me, given the current market. Perhaps vintage Rickenbackers are more expensive in the UK? I think you'd be able to get one in the US for $2500. Maybe not as clean, but certainly in good shape without issues.
collin

Post by collin »

Don't do it Rob.

The vintage path is a slippery road you'll never return from. You'll spend your days comparing the relative value of vintage Rickenbackers to their modern counterparts (nevermind that the new Ricks are excellent instruments!). You will feel like every neck made after 1975 is just too thick for your tastes. You'll waste your days arguing the merits between transitional hi gains vs. button tops and eventually develop a pedantic obsession for the tone of vintage Toaster pickups and conversion varnish. It really will spoil you forever.

But life is short -- so take the plunge and see for yourself. :)
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

If this purchase (investment?) is primarily to acquire a "collectable" guitar, then go for it. However, if your intent is to have a nice Rick that you can play and enjoy every day, then perhaps you should not buy it. Guitars that are "too nice" or "too special" (i.e., collectable; something that you may someday want to resell at a profit) seem to mostly sit in their cases. My two cents.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

One thing to check for on any vintage Rick is whether the action is low enough for you and, as a directly related matter, whether the bridge is cranked all the way down so that the action can't be lowered any more. It appears from the photos of this guitar in the Register that there is room for the bridge to be adjusted downward (assuming the neck is straight, another matter), so that is a good thing.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”