325 V/C model Owners step forward -Advice needed!

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

tcsmit29

325 V/C model Owners step forward -Advice needed!

Post by tcsmit29 »

Hello all! I am asking for help from 325 (V models and C models) owners. I am a former owner of a 325V63 purchased in 1988. Due to the fact that I am an idiot, I sold it in the late 90’s. Years go by, now I want another one.

My dilemma is as follows. The neck on newer Ricks feel too thick to me, based on my experience with 360 and 620 models . After reading the forum, the necks on Rick’s can vary a lot depending on the years produced. The consensus seems to be that the thicker necks became a thing sometime in the mid 1990’s. I want to replace my 325. Personally, I have no preference over a newer 325C64 versus a second hand 325V63. Except that, I don’t want to purchase a 325C64 if the necks are the newer thicker style.

For you guys who have one or the other, or both. What is your opinion on the necks of these instruments? Do the newer C64 models have thin necks? What about late 90's versions of the V63?

This being the internet, I know someone will suggest that I try both out to see which one I like. The fact is, living in a rural area, I have never seen a Rickenbacker in a music store. The internet is my only option.
girllennon76

Re: 325 V/C model Owners step forward -Advice needed!

Post by girllennon76 »

I had a '96 325v63 and it was perfection. Slim, fast neck and the most balanced guitar I ever played. I had to sell it in Nov. 2014 and still harbor regrets because I thought I'd have it for life. When I do get another, if I can't get my original guitar back, it will be a V63. I have zero interest in the C series version.
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

I don't know if this applies to 325s or even other 340s, for that matter, but the neck on my 2006 340 is the thickest neck on anything I own, and that includes several late-50s reissue Gibsons.
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

OP: Stick with anything up through around '93 or so and you should be fine. You're right, somewhere in the mid-90's the Louisville Sluggers started coming out of Santa Ana. If you're not a Beatle nut, a regular octane 320 from the early 80's can often be had for a much more reasonable price.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”