2nd. Ric.

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

theonemanband

2nd. Ric.

Post by theonemanband »

Just bought my second Rickenbacker and long time dream guitar, a 2008 mint condition 350/12string in Amberglow, to go alongside my 620/12.

My 620/12 has been my "go to" gigging instrument for a long time now, but having tried a 6 string version at a local music store many months ago, I fell in love with the timbre and feel of the 350. It has taken me a long time to track down a 12 string version, it should arrive here in the UK next week and I am over the moon at the thought of being able to gig with this beautiful guitar, and hoping for some great sounds.

I have heard there can be issues with the older "vintage" style tuners, but keeping a 12 string in tune can be tedious at the best of times, regardless of the tuners!! :lol:
only my opinion of course!
Ric5150

Re: 2nd. Ric.

Post by Ric5150 »

I'm sure my RIC 12-strings don't get near the workout you give yours, but the 'new' vintage-style tuners seem to hang in there pretty good - and I do stress them a bit on my 6-strings and they seem to hold pretty well.

My Vox Mark XII with Bigsby-like tail - that's tedious. :)

I've not played a 350/12, but given the differences from 360/350/600 and knowing what all but the 350/12 combinations of model and 6 vs 12 strings sound like, I'd image it's a pretty unique and interesting sound.

Congrats.
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
redamber

Post by redamber »

theonemanband wrote:Just bought my second Rickenbacker and long time dream guitar, a 2008 mint condition 350/12 string in Amberglow, to go alongside my 620/12.
I am intrigued - any chance of a photo? And, why would you want to own two solid-body Ric 12-strings>?
Santa visits only once a year, but Santa Ana delivers Rics all year round.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I'm sure he has a reason for wanting two solidbody 12 strings guitars, same as I love my two 4004 Laredo basses. 8)
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

redamber wrote: And, why would you want to own two solid-body Ric 12-strings>?
That there's subversive talk on this here forum!!! :evil:
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Also, the 350 has a chambered body, so it is semi-hollow.....
theonemanband

Post by theonemanband »

antipodean wrote:Also, the 350 has a chambered body, so it is semi-hollow.....
Thank you !! :D

If you knew your Rics, you would know that the 350 has a "chambered" body giving it a different timbre altogether!

Toaster, as opposed to high gain pickups..........another variable!

Chambered body = one pound lighter...........O'h, plus the fact, I like the 350!!..................need I go on?? :wink:
only my opinion of course!
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

I think the better, and more subversive question would be "Why would anyone buy a 310/320 anything when full-scale 350s are available?", but then we all know the answer to that one, don't we? :wink:
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Ric5150 wrote: we all know the answer to that one, don't we? :wink:
Because when I Beatles, I like to Beatles. Anyone who doesn't Beatles can just go Beatle themselves. :lol:
kt66

Post by kt66 »

I have never in 20 years of reading hifi/guitars/drums forums seen anyone having to justify the purchase to other forum members.

The answer to "why have two"? is, "having two Rickenbackers is twice as good as having one"
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

kt66 wrote:I have never in 20 years of reading hifi/guitars/drums forums seen anyone having to justify the purchase to other forum members.

The answer to "why have two"? is, "having two Rickenbackers is twice as good as having one"
I think the person asking that was under the mistaken impression they were both solid body 12-strings. Which I could understand... why have two of the same thing, instead of cultivating a more well-rounded arsenal, like add a semi-hollow, or a 6er, or a bass, etc. But heck, I've seen noobs here sign up and post to boast about their wonderfully diverse collection of Ricks - a 2011 4003 JG, a 2013 4003 MG, and a 2012 4003 MID. Now THAT'S a special kind of stupid! :lol:
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

kt66 wrote:I have never in 20 years of reading hifi/guitars/drums forums seen anyone having to justify the purchase to other forum members.

I suspect James' comment may have been a bit tongue-in-cheek. Someone with something like ten 650s would likely not sit in judgment of someone with two similar-ish Ricks. (I'm certainly not judging James as I have a few 600s myself.)

Truth be told, there are probably very few forumites who could come close to being able to "justify" the number/model/type of all the Ricks they own if their lives depended upon it. :)

...and my comment was just messing with most of the forum community a little. I'd probably have a 325 if they didn't drive me nuts. I have an old Duo-Sonic which isn't much longer, and a couple of other shorter-scale guitars, but everything is shifted more 'forward' such that my elbow isn't against my ribs even when playing open chords. I'm probably just lashing out because I feel left out. :(
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

jdogric12 wrote:

I think the person asking that was under the mistaken impression they were both solid body 12-strings. Which I could understand... why have two of the same thing, instead of cultivating a more well-rounded arsenal, like add a semi-hollow, or a 6er, or a bass, etc. But heck, I've seen noobs here sign up and post to boast about their wonderfully diverse collection of Ricks - a 2011 4003 JG, a 2013 4003 MG, and a 2012 4003 MID. Now THAT'S a special kind of stupid! :lol:
Could have rounds on the JG, TI flats on the MG and BEAD tuning on the MID....

And who you callin' stoopid? You disrespectin' me????? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :mrgreen:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

antipodean wrote:
jdogric12 wrote:

Could have rounds on the JG, TI flats on the MG and BEAD tuning on the MID....

And who you callin' stoopid? You disrespectin' me????? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :mrgreen:
:lol: I was actually thinking of a hothead RRFer who doesn't post here anymore.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”