Truss Rod Cover Real or Reproduction?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Revbrodiddley

Truss Rod Cover Real or Reproduction?

Post by Revbrodiddley »

as the title says, looking for info on what I've got here. Obviously its been touched up, which the seller is very upfront about. I'm told this is a pre 1966 TRC because its lacking the made in USA, but I'm seeing plenty of pre 1966 trc's with made in usa on it.... Not trying to start a debate or whine on a seller or anything, just looking for knowledge. THanks in advance for any help.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/user/revbr ... 1.jpg.html
http://s1260.photobucket.com/user/revbr ... 3.jpg.html
collin

Re: Truss Rod Cover Real or Reproduction?

Post by collin »

The "Made in USA" didn't start appearing until 1964.

White truss rod covers/pickguards started appearing around 1962, so if it's real it would date between 1962-1963. These early TRCs have a longer "footprint" than the later version with "Made in USA" and also different from modern era reissues.

Really hard to tell without holding it in my hands, but it looks pretty good. If it's not real, it's a damn good reproduction.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Is the seller the one who polished the edges?
Revbrodiddley

Post by Revbrodiddley »

If you're referring to the touch up paint on the back of it, then yes, the seller acknowledges it as being touched up. Didn't say whether he did it or not. I'm just confused because I bought what was first called a 1970 original silk screened acrylic trc and then once I got it and questioned it, I was told its a very rare back painted one from 1966 without the made in USA logo on it...worth 200 to 300 bucks.... I have so many different ricks with different style truss covers but not one like this, so just wondering what other people think about it. Meanwhile I'm really just wanting an early 70s one to go with some first gen hi gains i got. (These are Cadillac problems, yes I know)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Maybe it's just the way the lighting is on the TRC that makes it look like the edges are polished a bit. Here is one I have from the mid '60s (1964-1966 I think, in 1967 they have the lower edge, near the G string at the nut, cut off a bit for some reason; maybe they were made too wide overhanging the edge of the headstock at the nut) on my former 1998 4001V63; it is currently residing on my 4004L SPC.
Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2010 All rights reserved.
Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2010 All rights reserved.
Here is the TRC on my old 1967 4005WB, note the straight edge along the G string near the nut.
Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2004 All rights reserved.
Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2004 All rights reserved.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”