Truss Rod Cover Touch-up

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

billfark

Truss Rod Cover Touch-up

Post by billfark »

Hello - There is a small nick underneath the truss rod cover of my new 360/12 LH. It's not bad enough for me to send it back to RIC for a replacement, but it's visible from the front of the guitar, and enough of a nick that I want to fix it. Is there any issue with me just buying a white paint pen and touching up the underside of the TRC, or will that potentially cause a problem down the road if I ever do need to send it back to RIC for replacement? Am I over-thinking this? (Probably)

Thanks!
Kevin
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Truss Rod Cover Touch-up

Post by jps »

Hobby paint, works, so does Wite-Out®, which is what I and I recall some others around here use, too. Works great.

This had a few spots that needed touching up; I used Wite-Out® to do so.
Attachments
Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2016 All rights reserved.
Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2016 All rights reserved.
bvstudios

Post by bvstudios »

jps wrote:Hobby paint, works, so does Wite-Out®, which is what I and I recall some others around here use, too. Works great.

This had a few spots that needed touching up; I used Wite-Out® to do so.
I just gotta ask about that capo...?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

That's a slide, not a capo..........................
billfark

Post by billfark »

Thanks for the reply, Jeffrey. I'll give it a go.

-Kevin
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

If it's just the TRC itself, that should be easy enough to send to RIC for replacement under warranty, without sending the whole guitar. Hopefully they would do that, assuming you've filled out and sent in the registration warranty card. No sense taking a hit when you resell it. Even if you think you'll be buried with it... you never know.
billfark

Post by billfark »

Hi Jason - I sent in the warranty card a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if they're supposed to send me something in the mail, a-la Martin, or if I'm just in their system as a registered owner. I'm probably still within the standard turnaround time if they have some type of card that they send out.

I thought about sending it in for replacement, but I don't know it that would take a long time since it's a lefty TRC. The nick is really small, probably not even visible at 5 feet, but I know it's there. I'm not in a hurry, though, so I'll just contact them to see if they have extra lefty TRCs available for replacement. I'll hold off on touching it up myself for now. If they say it will take an unusually long time to get a lefty TRC, maybe I'll revisit just fixing it myself.

I should add that this is the type of TRC with the logo painted underneath, not the one with the raised logo on top.

Resale value is definitely a concern for me, so I appreciate you mentioning it. I would trade up to a lefty 360/12c63 in a heartbeat if they would just start making them for us! That's the holy grail for me as far as guitars are concerned.

Thanks,
Kevin
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

billfark wrote:The nick is really small, probably not even visible at 5 feet...
:shock:

I'd just paint the tiny nick and be done with it. :wink: :)
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

billfark wrote:I would trade up to a lefty 360/12c63 in a heartbeat if they would just start making them for us!

Thanks,
Kevin
Talk to Larry Davis... see if he can cook something up for you. Might be tough to find the lefty 21-fret donor guitar you'd need, but stranger things have been made. And he is a master at making custom Rick dreams come true.
billfark

Post by billfark »

jps wrote:
billfark wrote:The nick is really small, probably not even visible at 5 feet...
I'd just paint the tiny nick and be done with it. :wink: :)
Good advice. Like I said, I'm probably overthinking it. :D

-Kevin
billfark

Post by billfark »

Talk to Larry Davis... see if he can cook something up for you. Might be tough to find the lefty 21-fret donor guitar you'd need, but stranger things have been made. And he is a master at making custom Rick dreams come true.
Thanks for the suggestion. I read the recent thread about converting a 330 into an all-solid black/white double-bound and my mind started going places. How much to find a lefty fireglo 330/12, bind the neck/body, replace the pickups, etc..., but that's a real rabbit hole. For now, I'm going to enjoy my 360/12. I'm glad they have started doing the fret markers in the correct orientation for a lefty. I had one about 20 years ago that had them the wrong way. Now, about that upside down "R" tailpiece... :wink:

-Kevin

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”