Acoustic Amp??

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

theonemanband

Acoustic Amp??

Post by theonemanband »

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone plays their Ric hollow body through an acoustic amp.

Looking for a totally clean tone, I recently bought a Roland JC40 to go with my newly acquired 350V63/12 and was delighted with the results BUT, I was aware that the sound out in the audience was painfully bright (sometimes referred to as "ice pick" or "beaming" I believe).
I tried positioning the amp at 90% and tilting up (better), and also looked into the various home made and commercially available sound deflectors and beaming suppressors.

In between time however, a friend let me try his Marshall AS50D acoustic amp and all I can say is WOW what a beautiful sound, truly bringing out the acoustic timbre of the chambered body, and with careful pickup selection and EQ'ing, I can produce sounds from almost acoustic, right through to bright Rickenbacker 12 string jangle!!

I have now sold the JC40, in favour of a Marshall AS50D, and whilst I know that sound is very subjective and personal, this combination (350V63/12 & Marshall AS50D) is SO sweet and right up my street and so, as I said above, does anyone else plays their Ric hollow body through an acoustic amp?
only my opinion of course!

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”