Vintage mod schematic

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

gwatkins15

Vintage mod schematic

Post by gwatkins15 »

Hi, I'm looking for a wiring diagram for the vintage tone mod, suitable for a 620. I've tried registering with the other rick forum which had a thread about a schematic but it's taking ages for my account to be authorized! Does anyone have one they can send me? Or even a description? I've currently got one wire from the push pull to the pickup selector and the other to the volume pot, but it now sounds like the bridge and neck pickup are on together in the bridge position!
Ric5150

Re: Vintage mod schematic

Post by Ric5150 »

You put a capacitor in series with the bridge pickup and use the push/pull to short it out if you don't want it.

PM this guy:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=482

Scott will get you squared-away.
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Send me a pm with your email address and I'll send you a pdf.
gwatkins15

Post by gwatkins15 »

Thanks for both of your replies. After a night of trial and error, and finally reading a diagram online properly, I got it right. And it sounds great! Also iiipopes I read a lot of your posts in other threads, so thanks for that.

Does anyone notice any differences with different amps? With a tiny solid state amp the difference the mod makes is huge, whereas its much more subtle with my '75 Marshall lead & bass combo. Is there any technical reason for this?
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

gwatkins15 wrote:Does anyone notice any differences with different amps? With a tiny solid state amp the difference the mod makes is huge, whereas its much more subtle with my '75 Marshall lead & bass combo. Is there any technical reason for this?
Marshall amps are voiced bass and treble heavy. I noticed the same thing years ago when I gigged guitar regularly. When played through a small amp, or even anything as large as a Fender Vibrolux, it was very noticeable. But with the 1975 2203 I used to have, even with a cabinet full of Jensen concert 12's, it was so "big" sounding that I didn't notice as much bass dropoff with the capacitor switched in. So I finally stopped taking my 12-string on stage and used a chorus pedal for bar gigs instead, saving the 12-string for the studio.
RicUpNorth

Post by RicUpNorth »

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I have a 620 I am looking to put the mod in and I was curious if it’s possibleto get the diagram still? I’ve hear the cap a/b’ed on a 330, and I really liked the tone with the cap. Would be nice to retain the ability to use the guitar without it still, though. Thanks much in advance.

CParisArt@gmail.com
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Chris, Just got home from being out of town for a week. Give me a couple of days to get caught up at work.
RicUpNorth

Post by RicUpNorth »

iiipopes wrote:Chris, Just got home from being out of town for a week. Give me a couple of days to get caught up at work.
No hurry! The parts on are order from Ric anyway. Figured this would give me some nice recording options with my 620, and you seem to be regarded as the master of this mod! Appreciate the reply, I look forward to trying the mod.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”