RM 1998 pickups and bridge placement

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Thesisinbold

RM 1998 pickups and bridge placement

Post by Thesisinbold »

Hello. I'm looking for a 1998 reissue. I've noticed that on some there is a space between the bridge and the bridge pickup. On others, there is no space at all. The pickup and bridge are touching each other.

what's up with that?

thanks.
collin

Re: RM 1998 pickups and bridge placement

Post by collin »

Are you comparing Reissues to other reissues, or reissues to originals?

The reissue models have little to no space between the bridge pickup and the bridge, while the original vintage models had about 1/2" gap.
Steve Gunderson

Post by Steve Gunderson »

I am assuming that the pickups on the newer models were placed closer together and further away from the neck to allow greater strength between the neck and the body-yes?
Thesisinbold

Post by Thesisinbold »

collin wrote:Are you comparing Reissues to other reissues, or reissues to originals?

The reissue models have little to no space between the bridge pickup and the bridge, while the original vintage models had about 1/2" gap.

Thanks for replying. I'm comparing reissues to reissues. One I'm looking at seems to have zero space while the other one does.
collin

Post by collin »

Steve Gunderson wrote:I am assuming that the pickups on the newer models were placed closer together and further away from the neck to allow greater strength between the neck and the body-yes?
No. The pickup placement for the neck pickup is always the same - right up against the end of the fretboard, no difference in strengthening the neck.

The differences over the years is only the position of the bridge pickup.

Thesisinbold wrote:
collin wrote:Are you comparing Reissues to other reissues, or reissues to originals?

Thanks for replying. I'm comparing reissues to reissues. One I'm looking at seems to have zero space while the other one does.
I'm guessing these reissues are not from the same year (or even the same era), most should be the same, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the bridge pickup placement fluctuate over the years. That's one of the details that wasn't correct for a vintage reissue (along with a number of other specs RIC has corrected in recent years with the C-series reissues).
Thesisinbold

Post by Thesisinbold »

collin wrote:
Steve Gunderson wrote:I am assuming that the pickups on the newer models were placed closer together and further away from the neck to allow greater strength between the neck and the body-yes?
No. The pickup placement for the neck pickup is always the same - right up against the end of the fretboard, no difference in strengthening the neck.

The differences over the years is only the position of the bridge pickup.

Thesisinbold wrote:

I'm guessing these reissues are not from the same year (or even the same era), most should be the same, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the bridge pickup placement fluctuate over the years. That's one of the details that wasn't correct for a vintage reissue (along with a number of other specs RIC has corrected in recent years with the C-series reissues).

So it's not a big deal is it?
collin

Post by collin »

Nah, not really.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Would still be curious to hear what years you're comparing.
Thesisinbold

Post by Thesisinbold »

jdogric12 wrote:Would still be curious to hear what years you're comparing.
I'm just perusing the normal sites. I see examples from 1991 and the 1998 (the year).
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Neat - does appear to be in a different spot (not that I doubted you)

1991:

http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... lebrity%3D

1998:

http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... lebrity%3D

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”