Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

scotty

1993+ 6er

Post by scotty »

Oh hurry up....
Ric5150

Re: 1993+ 6er

Post by Ric5150 »

I wouldn't even need the wider neck. A double-bound f-hole 3-pup X-braced Rick in Fireglo would be just fine. :D
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
collin

Post by collin »

Ric5150 wrote:I wouldn't even need the wider neck. A double-bound f-hole 3-pup X-braced Rick in Fireglo would be just fine. :D
Ironically the wider neck is the only reason I haven't run out and bought one yet. They're lovely guitars, but the neck width just sit well and I'd end up selling it later. So many classic Rickenbacker chords are harder to play on a wide neck IMO (though I can see the appeal for playing leads or for people with large hands).
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

collin wrote:
Ric5150 wrote:I wouldn't even need the wider neck. A double-bound f-hole 3-pup X-braced Rick in Fireglo would be just fine. :D
Ironically the wider neck is the only reason I haven't run out and bought one yet. They're lovely guitars, but the neck width just sit well and I'd end up selling it later. So many classic Rickenbacker chords are harder to play on a wide neck IMO (though I can see the appeal for playing leads or for people with large hands).
I completely get that which is why I like having options. I'm keeping the v64 but there's some stuff I screw around with that I have a hard time doing cleanly enough on the narrow neck, so I'd jump to the 660/12. Nice to have that 'real' Rickenbacker 12-string sound with the wider neck. Yeah, I could play a lot more and get better on the v64, but playing time is kinda hard to find lately.

Similarly, I like the options on the 6-strings. I have a 660 and two 650Cs (one HBs, one hi-gains) which are nice for stuff where I end up pulling the high E off the edge or pushing/pulling the low E off - not necessarily even leads, sometimes things with just a pinky or thumb pull-off on chords. Again, better technique would probably help a good bit :) , but still nice to have the options. Doesn't mean I want to get rid of anything with 'normal' Rick necks, though, as I do usually find those more comfortable. I don't get as hung-up on getting a particular tone as I do with the 12-strings, so I wouldn't be all that motivated to buy a wider 360 if it existed.

I just tend to play differently depending on what guitar I happen to pick up, so nice to have options.
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
scotty

Post by scotty »

The one thing that struck me when first playing the 1993+ was that I didn't notice the neck difference as much as I thought I would.
I just pick it up and enjoy it.
Now I'd have preferred dot markers but hey ho ;) I'll keep the V64 as it's a good one also.
Well done Ric.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”