Best capo for Rickenbacker 6 string electrics?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

hydro

Best capo for Rickenbacker 6 string electrics?

Post by hydro »

Hi all,

I have used a couple of different capos with my 620 and I end up having to re-tune a lot, or with dead strings here and there. Just haven't had much luck getting good performance out of them. Any recommendations of a good capo for this model? Typically when I do this, I am using an open D or standard tuning and placing the capo before the 3rd or 5th fret.

If I understand right, the 620 and the 360 have similar neck profiles although my 1980s era 360WB seems a little slimmer than the 360. I have measured them and they measure the same so I think it's psychological... hehe. Or maybe it's the way the back of the neck tapers or is shaped, I am not sure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Best capo for Rickenbacker 6 string electrics?

Post by jps »

What capos have you already tried on the guitar? No point in recommending what you have on hand. :wink:

I use Shubb and NS capos, for various guitars, and all have been good so long as they are long enough (I go as high as the 10 frets for some stuff of mine). As you don't go above the 5th fret just about any normal (not cur short for partial capo-ing) capo should work fine so long as the curvature is close, not a flat one for classical guitars (I have one of those for my Taylor NS62ce).

I plan on ordering a custom length Shubb for my Yamamoto MS-12 as the neck on that gets wider than my NS capo (more than long enough for most any other guitar I have used them with) can reach. Shubbs are nice, partly due to that the rubber pad can be easily replaced, they slide off, plus the upper arm can be re-bent with a bit of work, if desired, to adjust for fingerboard radius, although I have never had to do so.
hydro

Post by hydro »

One of the ones I tried is a Kyser quick change. I tried it again tonight on my 360 and it seemed OK. The other one is a G7 nashville style. Though it may be a copy of that or an off brand. Basically a spring loaded capo similar to the Kyser but a little more streamlined looking. I have an acoustic capo too, which I have not really tried on any of my electrics.

I think the 620 gives me more trouble for some reason, not sure why.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Most of those Kyser style spring loaded capos can be way too strong, especially, depending on the string you use. That is why I use the NS and Shubb capos; they are easy to adjust the amount of tension needed and no more.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Always only ever used Kysers personally. Never had any issues. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

Yeah, the Kyser quick change works well. Plus they come in a wide variety of colors so you can buy one in a color that exactly matches the color of your Ric!

wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

I use a G7th with all of my 6 string guitars, including the Rickenbackers. I use a Shubb with my 360/12 CW.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”