String Issue on 330

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jakemackie

String Issue on 330

Post by jakemackie »

Hi, i have a 2006 Montezuma 330, plays beautifully and i always try to wipe the strings and keep it in good condition. I do have a problem though, my high E string sounds a lot flatter, like it doesn't ring out as brightly as the other strings, and it has a terrible effect on the overall sound of the guitar. I don't know whether it's the pick up (shouldn't be considering the rest sounds fine, and iv'e raised it at that end) or something to do with the bridge / intonation? Any help or recommendations will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jake Mackie
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: String Issue on 330

Post by jps »

Does the string move smoothly/easily in the nut slot? A heavier string than was equipped at birth might be binding slightly.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Maybe obvious, but have you tried another string?
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

Maybe you raised the pickup too much and it's interfering with the string. If the problem goes away when you fret a note, it's probably the nut slot. If it doesn't then the problem is down at the bridge somewhere. A poorly seated bridge piece or badly filed string slot. As said above, a dead string is also a real possibility.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
jakemackie

Post by jakemackie »

Clint wrote:Maybe you raised the pickup too much and it's interfering with the string. If the problem goes away when you fret a note, it's probably the nut slot. If it doesn't then the problem is down at the bridge somewhere. A poorly seated bridge piece or badly filed string slot. As said above, a dead string is also a real possibility.
I raised the pickup as a way to make it sound bigger, it sounded flat before i had raised it.
jps wrote:Does the string move smoothly/easily in the nut slot? A heavier string than was equipped at birth might be binding slightly.
I have always used 9/10 gauge strings up until recently, i went up to 11's which actually made a bit of difference. The string doesn't move at all on the nut, but i think you may be right with the binding. it's as if the sting is being restricted, it just doesn't ring out as nicely as the rest of the guitar. Would you suggest i try opening the nut slot a little to try free it?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Does the same problem present itself when you play fretted notes?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jakemackie

Post by jakemackie »

admin wrote:Does the same problem present itself when you play fretted notes?
That's a good point, and yes it does still choke a little. It might be something to do with the bridge.
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

jakemackie wrote:I raised the pickup as a way to make it sound bigger, it sounded flat before i had raised it.
Right, but if you raise the pickup too far, the pole piece can physically touch the string.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Clint wrote:
jakemackie wrote:I raised the pickup as a way to make it sound bigger, it sounded flat before i had raised it.
Right, but if you raise the pickup too far, the pole piece can physically touch the string.
It can, also, magnetically dampen the string a bit.
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

If the 11 is tight in the nut, it may also be too tight on the bridge and could be more 'on' the notch than "in" the notch. That could be the problem.

Maybe try lowering the pickup, as well.

...and as was mentioned above, could just be a dead string. I've put brand new strings on a few times and gotten ones that are just plain bad right from the start.
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”