Rickenbacker 330 Upgrades

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Sinclare

Rickenbacker 330 Upgrades

Post by Sinclare »

Hello! This is my first time posting here. I've had my 330 midnight blue for about 3 years now and was thinking about doing a few upgrades. First, I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions or could show me what they have done.

I like the look of the vintage oven knobs, so I was thinking about doing that and I've seen some 330's with the toaster covers over the higains, which I think looks quite smart. I'd also like to go to the gold scratch plate, but I understand it's hard to get a hold of a matching gold TRC.

Lastly, at some point, I really wanna put a Bigsby on it. I've seen both styles used. Anyone have any experience with this and which they prefer and maybe how it changes the tone? Thanks!
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: Rickenbacker 330 Upgrades

Post by aceonbass »

The stock wiring harness with it's way-under-spec 330K universal pots is a tone killer in the higher frequencies. I build replacement harnesses using matched pots to the older, vintage specs.
Attachments
Rickenbacker 5 control harness.jpg
Burntweenie

Post by Burntweenie »

I found the best way to get a decent gold scratch plate is to spray the underside of a bit of 3mm Perspex or similar. I did use some gold sticky vinyl sheet at one stage but the shade wasn't right.

Bigsby - shouldn't really effect the tone, but there <might> be some issues with tuning at the nut and across the saddles (where most vibratos can have problems). I would definitely recommend finding a decent tech to install it, however.
2012 650C F
2014 330/12 W

1991 Gibson 335 Cherry
2013 Cordoba Dulce
2014 Andrew White Freja 1010
2015 Custom-made fretless J-bass
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

I have a Midnight Blue 330 and the first day I had her I switched out to gold plastic and oven knobs. She does look pretty different that way.

Before:

And after:

Post by 4000 »

Tommy wrote:I have a Midnight Blue 330 and the first day I had her I switched out to gold plastic and oven knobs. She does look pretty different that way.
Looks gorgeous! Just wondering, still in line enough with the orig colour of the TRC, or could you switch that too ?

Regards
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

4000 wrote:Looks gorgeous! Just wondering, still in line enough with the orig colour of the TRC, or could you switch that too ?

Regards
No, I wouldn't keep a white TRC with gold pickguards. I went the insane route and actually made my own gold TRC. I would never recommend that to anyone. It was absolutely ridiculous to attempt...but once i started it, I had to finish. Came out pretty fine, but what a pain in the glass to do. Best just to spray the white TRC with gold paint that matches the gold on the pickguard.

Post by 4000 »

Thanks for the full pic, that looks nice. Good you finished it, despite the effort!

Bye
indianation65

Post by indianation65 »

Not to argue, but I wouldn't call putting a Bigsby on a Rickenbacker an "upgrade." On a Gibson 335, yes, it could be considered an added bonus, but on a Rickenbacker, I don't see it.

To each his own, regardless, after all, they are only guitars, meaning they are only wood, plastic and a bit of metal, but I do love them. Good luck on the "changes," and congratulations on the gift of "choice."

...wisdom
Indian Folklore and Wisdom—Love, Learn, Listen

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”