370 neck finish

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Sprogar52

370 neck finish

Post by Sprogar52 »

I recently purchased a used 370/12 from GC had it shipped from NY to Fl.. it's a 2002 from the serial. I owned a 81 360/12 that I sold so the 370 was a replacement so to speak as I always wanted one with toasters. It sounds great. But my question or issue is on the back side of the neck were the "stripe" is, you can feel a ridge running down. The closer you get to the body, the more pronounced it is. I don't recall my 360 having this issue.

It really doesn't affect the playability that much but it's a bit anoying. Does anyone else have this issue?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: 370 neck finish

Post by jdogric12 »

So the neck sections are separating just a hair? That's not normal, but it's not unheard of either. Might want to see if you can return it... plenty of Ric 12's like that on the ground to be had, so no need to take a dog. If it was undisclosed you might even be able to give them a hard time and see if you can return it at a local store instead of shipping back.
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

That could also be from the walnut and maple woods of the neck expanding or shrinking at different rates, due to abrupt changes in temperature or humidity. I wouldn't be too worried about it but best to keep an eye on it. My 360/12 gets this periodically but the guitar is over 20 years old and the neck is still straight as an arrow. I haven't even had to tweak the truss rod since 1999.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
Sprogar52

Post by Sprogar52 »

Thank you very much for your advice I think what I'm going to do is just keep an eye on it but I'm also going to stop at GC and give them a little grief it's not that bad it's a little annoying but after I play it for a minute or two I forget that it's there so I'll just keep it and if it gets too bad I'll send it in I guess LOL thanks again
Sprogar52

Post by Sprogar52 »

Just as a side note we moved from Florida to Wisconsin and I took my guitar in to Wade's guitar shop in Milwaukee for a tune-up so to speak and we discussed the neck and after all is said and done we're just going to leave things the way they are as he said the guitar is in pristine condition and he could sand it down if I really wanted but he and I discussed this and felt the best thing was just to leave it I can't begin to say enough on how good Wade's guitar shop is he definitely has my business

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”