New member and first time Ric owner!

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Bunk

New member and first time Ric owner!

Post by Bunk »

Firstly let me say hello from sunny Manchester, UK. I've lusted after Rickenbacker's, especially 330's, since my childhood days obsessing over Paul Weller in his The Jam days and Johnny Marr and his Jetglo 330. I'm a drummer first and foremost but I gave that up (at the ripe old age of 15 :D ) to play bass in a local band. I've always had a guitar but I'd deffo class myself as a novice player! No soloing here!! Scroll on a few years and I finally decided to do something about my Ric itch.. I've played about on a few 330's/360's I'd come across in shops over the years but none of them seemed to feel right to me? Having large hands and fingers maybe didn't help either? Anyway I saw a 1980 330 advertised in a local shop so I decided to check it out. Within minutes of picking it up it just felt and played so well.

The shop had it listed as 'Walnut' but after a bit of research, mainly on here, I believe its an Autumnglo finish as its satin rather than gloss. Some bits of the body have 'brassed' quite nicely; that is to say the satin finish has gone shiny with wear such as the upper part of the body where your right arm rests. Its got a few chips here and there but its only 5 years younger than me! I wish I was in such good shape!!

Once I got it home I did notice that the bridge pickup was out of alignment in relation to the strings and the bridge. I started to panic, thinking I'd been sold a dud but after more research it seems its not as uncommon as I thought. ( I unscrewed the pickup just to check it hadn't been 'offset' by a previous owner but the only holes present were the ones in use so it must have left the factory like that). I moved the pickup over last night and it looks tons better. It might be my ears fooling me but I could swear I can hear a difference too. Sadly the only cosmetic issue thats now arisen is the brown staining from the bottom of the foam pad is now visible. I can sort of live with it I think unless any of you guys know how it can be removed?

As a side note the guy in the shop, who I incidentally know but had lost touch with, told me they'd taken it in part exchange form Mark Radcliffe, a Radio/TV presenter/Journalist/Musician and all round nice guy from around these parts. No letters of authenticity etc. but I believe my pal and to be honest, if you're gonna invent a bogus ex-owner history to sell a guitar you'd probably choose someone else with a bit more guitar cache! No offence Mark if you're reading this!!

Here's some pics. They were taken today, post pickup surgery but I've also got some 'befores'. As I'm no Ric expert I'd be interested to hear from you guys regarding originality etc. I suspect its had a new nut at some point and its got a black pick guard too. I think I've only seen one other like mine with the others having a white pick guard? Tuners are Kluson Deluxe but I've seen different Kluson tuners on other 330's
Front copy.jpg
back copy.jpg
Any idea's what the writing relates to? Looks like mine was destined to be a 320 at some point??
Any idea's what the writing relates to? Looks like mine was destined to be a 320 at some point??
Do the caps/pots look original?
Do the caps/pots look original?
Bunk

Re: New member and first time Ric owner!

Post by Bunk »

Hey Guys, I've just realised I've posed this in the wrong section of the forum as its a 1980 guitar. Sorry.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Well, welcome aboard, and let me be the first to tell you that you've got a very beautiful and collectible 330 on your hands there!
I'm familiar with that "itch" that Rics will give you, but I don't wish to find a cure! :lol:
Bunk

Post by Bunk »

Thanks Squirebass! That itch was originally gonna be scratched with a Jetglo 330…..and at some point in the future it shall be done!
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

Nice, really nice. Congrats!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Wait... did you post two threads???
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

These CTS pots and yellow Cornell-Dubillier caps are indeed original.
Attachments
330Electronics.jpg
330Electronics.jpg (12.16 KiB) Viewed 6283 times
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Yep - I've still got a 79 4001 harness lying around that looks a lot like that.
Bunk

Post by Bunk »

jdogric12 wrote:Wait... did you post two threads???
Yeah, sorry, my bad. Put it down to inexperience!
Bunk

Post by Bunk »

Thanks for all your replies guys. When I get a moment I'll put the details in the register. In the meantime here are the other images I've got.

Im guessing the nut may have been replaced but I'm unsure?
nut.jpg
The pickups/bridge before..
Body 1 copy.jpg
And after I moved the bridge pickup over. The neck could do with the same treatment by the looks of it. Note the brown staining from the foam pad. I tried IPA but that didn't touch it. Any ideas?
Body modified copy.jpg
The bridge cover has taken a knock at some time too
Bridge cover copy.jpg
The shiny bits give it a nice patina
Shiny edge copy.jpg
Cant say the same for the upper horn though
upper horn copy.jpg
Bunk

Post by Bunk »

Last one for now is the jack plate and serial number
Serial 1 copy.jpg
scotty

Post by scotty »

Nice guitar Mark.
Great score.
Bunk

Post by Bunk »

Cheers Scotty! :D
Rubsoul

Post by Rubsoul »

Congrats on the new guitar Mark. I lived in your neighborhood back in the 80's in Harrogate. Spend quite a bit of time at Rovers games. I was at a several games to see the Rovers play Man United. Beckham was really in his prime back then. Cheers!
autumnglo

Post by autumnglo »

Old post I know but the nut is original. The truss rod cover would have been black originally though.

Would love to get some more facts about this particular guitar. Do you still have it?

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”