1st time Ric Owner w/ Tom Petty Signature 660/12 questions

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bigdicebuddha

Re: 1st time Ric Owner w/ Tom Petty Signature 660/12 questio

Post by bigdicebuddha »

jdogric12 wrote:Looks real to me. Those early TP's had that great birdseye maple.

I recommend starting the request process for that letter now. The earlier it is dated, the more valuable an asset it will be in the future when you (or your heirs) go to sell.

Oh and yes the 660/12 paid tribute to the Damn The Torpedoes 620/12, Mike's. But TP wanted the 12-saddle bridge like on McGuinn's limited edition. And the wider neck.
Cool, thanks for the advice. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Thanks to everybody for all the help today. Really looking forward to getting this one. Gonna be a great weekend!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Oh and the sticker - that's a nice thing for it to still have. Soon after, the shape of the sticker changed. I rarely say this but I wouldn't take it off if I were you!
bigdicebuddha

Post by bigdicebuddha »

jdogric12 wrote:Oh and the sticker - that's a nice thing for it to still have. Soon after, the shape of the sticker changed. I rarely say this but I wouldn't take it off if I were you!
Interesting... I hadn't even thought about that. Is the sticker just attached straight to the pick-guard? Or is it like a full plastic covering on the pick-guard? I definitely plan on playing this with my band so I'd be worried about how long I could keep it on through that typical wear and tear (I do take care of my gear, though), but am also a collector at heart so keeping something unique on there is important, as well.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

bigdicebuddha wrote:
jdogric12 wrote:Oh and the sticker - that's a nice thing for it to still have. Soon after, the shape of the sticker changed. I rarely say this but I wouldn't take it off if I were you!
Interesting... I hadn't even thought about that. Is the sticker just attached straight to the pick-guard? Or is it like a full plastic covering on the pick-guard? I definitely plan on playing this with my band so I'd be worried about how long I could keep it on through that typical wear and tear (I do take care of my gear, though), but am also a collector at heart so keeping something unique on there is important, as well.
My son tried out a used 620 MB at a Guitar Center not too long ago, and really liked it, as it had just a wonderful neck, and almost played itself. The guitar had its original "Made in USA" rectangular sticker still on the pickguard, although it had been hit by a pick a time or three, and had lost a lot of its color. At the time, we were looking to upgrade my son's guitar and he wanted a Rick, so we talked to the salesman about this guitar. Of course, GC had it priced a little on the high side( :!: ) and I started to talk price with him. What eventually killed the deal was when the salesman told us, with straight face, "The presence of that sticker adds $100 or more to the value of a Rick"
Later, we found a FG 350v63 that was new, my son plays it to this day...without the sticker...
bigdicebuddha

Post by bigdicebuddha »

squirebass wrote:
bigdicebuddha wrote:
My son tried out a used 620 MB at a Guitar Center not too long ago, and really liked it, as it had just a wonderful neck, and almost played itself. The guitar had its original "Made in USA" rectangular sticker still on the pickguard, although it had been hit by a pick a time or three, and had lost a lot of its color. At the time, we were looking to upgrade my son's guitar and he wanted a Rick, so we talked to the salesman about this guitar. Of course, GC had it priced a little on the high side( :!: ) and I started to talk price with him. What eventually killed the deal was when the salesman told us, with straight face, "The presence of that sticker adds $100 or more to the value of a Rick"
Later, we found a FG 350v63 that was new, my son plays it to this day...without the sticker...
That's crazy. Really? Anybody know why?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

While the presence of the sticker can often be concurrent with other things that increase value, like mint condition, it's silly to think the sticker alone is creating that value.

OP - I would buy a replacement upper guard for use, and just stash that TP guard in the case for safe keeping and for photo ops. Try Pickguardian, he does great pg's for Ricks, even nailing the paint color for the specific era, and if you trace, can match the holes' position.
bigdicebuddha

Post by bigdicebuddha »

jdogric12 wrote:Looks real to me. Those early TP's had that great birdseye maple.

I recommend starting the request process for that letter now. The earlier it is dated, the more valuable an asset it will be in the future when you (or your heirs) go to sell.

Oh and yes the 660/12 paid tribute to the Damn The Torpedoes 620/12, Mike's. But TP wanted the 12-saddle bridge like on McGuinn's limited edition. And the wider neck.
That's a solid idea, thanks Jason. I want to play this thing, but want to keep it as nice as possible, so that sounds like an awesome idea.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Hey Britt,

Congrats! I was talking with you over at the Gear Page.

You scored!! :)

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”