1st time Ric Owner w/ Tom Petty Signature 660/12 questions

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bigdicebuddha

1st time Ric Owner w/ Tom Petty Signature 660/12 questions

Post by bigdicebuddha »

Good morning, everybody. New member, here. I purchased my first Ric last night, and it should be arriving to me later this week. I have been wanting a 12 string forever, and after about 6 months of researching and deciding what I wanted, I finally pulled the trigger on a 1991 Tom Petty Signature 660/12. According to the owner, he bought it brand new in 1991 as a collector (not a player), and it has been stored in a case in a climate controlled environment ever since. He said he occasionally took it out to tune it and strum it, but it still has the made in USA sticker on the pick-guard and not a scratch or blemish anywhere on it.

One drawback is that he said he lost the COA long ago. I'm not overly concerned about it, but I wanted to ask a few questions about this because in my research, I saw some posts on this forum a LONG time ago (2003 or so) where people occasionally saw the parts to some of these TP sig models on Ebay (pick-guard, jacks, PUP's, etc....), and there seemed to be at least some minor concern that there was the possibility/potential of counterfeiting going on, with somebody having the ability to buy a newer 660/12 and replace the stock parts with the Petty Pups and appointments.

I feel pretty good about this one, as the serial number checked to this database you guys have here have it being built in June of 1991. And while without the COA I have no idea what the actual number in the limited series it is, there are two within less than 10 in the serial numbers that are registered, that also were built in June 1991.

http://www.rickresource.com/register/in ... 61&order=5

But I guess my first question is, without the COA, should I be worried about counterfeiting? Are there any tell tale signs to look for? This is the guitar I purchased, there are a lot of great pics in the listing (please ignore the asking price, we negotiated a much lower price):

https://reverb.com/item/4719517-rickenb ... 91-fireglo

Another question I had, was that after talking to several people and reading several forums, I was told that if I was going with this model, to definitely take their word for it and buy from the run that was done between 1991 and 1992. Does anybody know why they would suggest that?

Thanks for any and all help in advance, and I look forward to contributing to the forum and joining the Ric family.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: 1st time Ric Owner w/ Tom Petty Signature 660/12 questio

Post by jdogric12 »

With pics we can tell. Since they didn't make non-TP 660's until the TP run was complete, anything that early should be a TP, unless someone went to the trouble of getting a post-TP 660, adding the special pickguard, getting an early serial number that wasn't registered anywhere, and possibly even getting the right case... TP's came with a vintage style case.

A '91 or '92 should be pre-CNC and have a slimmer neck (front to back). I know 90's have a very light rosewood fretboard... not sure if that carried into 91 or 92. Finish checking is common for that period. I actually like it on models from that period!
bigdicebuddha

Post by bigdicebuddha »

jdogric12 wrote:With pics we can tell. Since they didn't make non-TP 660's until the TP run was complete, anything that early should be a TP, unless someone went to the trouble of getting a post-TP 660, adding the special pickguard, getting an early serial number that wasn't registered anywhere, and possibly even getting the right case... TP's came with a vintage style case.

A '91 or '92 should be pre-CNC and have a slimmer neck (front to back). I know 90's have a very light rosewood fretboard... not sure if that carried into 91 or 92. Finish checking is common for that period. I actually like it on models from that period!
Thanks so much for the response, I was worried I was going to have to wait a couple of days, doesn't appear to be a lot of activity here as of late! There are a lot of pics of the actual guitar I bought in the Reverb ad I linked, if anybody would be so kind as to take a look.

When you say pre-CNC, what does that refer to? EDIT: Just googled "Rickenbacker pre-CNC" and that doesn't look like a subject I want to open on this thread :D

Finally, I've read over and over in my research that Rickenbacker will NOT re-issue a COA (understandably), but is there a way I can reach out to them with my serial number and they can access exactly which number this was in the run? Perhaps get a letter from them that it is genuine?

Thanks again for any and all help.
Last edited by bigdicebuddha on Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Welcome, Britt!

You can call RIC and they'll send you a letter confirming that your guitar is an authentic signature model and what number in the run it was. This is very common, as these certificates often get lost over time.
bigdicebuddha

Post by bigdicebuddha »

sloop_john_b wrote:Welcome, Britt!

You can call RIC and they'll send you a letter confirming that your guitar is an authentic signature model and what number in the run it was. This is very common, as these certificates often get lost over time.
Awesome, thank you! Great to know. Obviously any time you spend a decent sum of money on something, you want to make sure what you're getting is authentic. Shame that we have to worry about that with everything, these days. You can do your due diligence, but counterfeiters have just gotten so good at this.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Nothing wrong with pre-CNC. Even the worst examples have a special charm, and those are pretty few and far between anyway.

The link you posted didn't work for me... took me to a generic 660/12 page on Reverb.
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

True. But don't forget this is a favour from RIC,and if they are busy it may take a bit for them to get this done.

RIC's customer service folks take this on to write that letter, when Kenny Howes was there at RIC customer service, he wrote pile of those letters, JH has done some letters as well, I have seen while adding them to the register

But don't get huffy if they tell you they are unable to help you beyond an quick email confirming it as a TP signature edition.

There was a thread on the RIC corp forum at one point about some guy whining that RIC would not write him that letter. Being a jerk gets you no where in this world, so be nice and appreciative and you will likely get a positive response.

BTW congrats on the new to you Tom Petty guitar Britt! :D
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
bigdicebuddha

Post by bigdicebuddha »

jdogric12 wrote:Nothing wrong with pre-CNC. Even the worst examples have a special charm, and those are pretty few and far between anyway.

The link you posted didn't work for me... took me to a generic 660/12 page on Reverb.
Let me try to post some pics... Let me know if these don't work:

Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

The guitar got collected from the Reverb listing and added to the register.

http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... Findex.php

To claim it to your RRF account Britt, send a PM to Peter (ADMIN) or Gl (GIBSONLP), and they will make it so that only you can edit it.

From looking at the images, there is no doubt in my mind that it is real. :D

All the best
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
bigdicebuddha

Post by bigdicebuddha »

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote:

True. But don't forget this is a favour from RIC,and if they are busy it may take a bit for them to get this done.

RIC's customer service folks take this on to write that letter, when Kenny Howes was there at RIC customer service, he wrote pile of those letters, JH has done some letters as well, I have seen while adding them to the register

But don't get huffy if they tell you they are unable to help you beyond an quick email confirming it as a TP signature edition.

There was a thread on the RIC corp forum at one point about some guy whining that RIC would not write him that letter. Being a jerk gets you no where in this world, so be nice and appreciative and you will likely get a positive response.

BTW congrats on the new to you Tom Petty guitar Britt! :D
Great advice... I'm not an impatient person. Nor do I need a piece of paper to enjoy this beautiful guitar! I would totally see it as a favor to me on their part, and I have no expectations or time frame in mind. I just want to know it's the real deal and I'm satisfied.
bigdicebuddha

Post by bigdicebuddha »

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote:The guitar got collected from the Reverb listing and added to the register.

http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... Findex.php

To claim it to your RRF account Britt, send a PM to Peter (ADMIN) or Gl (GIBSONLP), and they will make it so that only you can edit it.

From looking at the images, there is no doubt in my mind that it is real. :D

All the best
Wow, great, thanks! I will do that as soon as it gets here! That's cool.
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

From a quick look at the register, and the other examples collected so far, the number should be between 200 and 230ish.

June 1991 was the third month they made these guitars, so this example is from early in the run of 1000.

http://www.rickresource.com/register/in ... 91&order=5

I only once had the chance to play one of these Tom Petty 660/12s back in 1992. But this morning I was playing my 1980 620/12, which although it lacks the toasters and the wider neck, still has all the chime and jangle you could ask for! I am sure you will enjoy the guitar.
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
bigdicebuddha

Post by bigdicebuddha »

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote:From a quick look at the register, and the other examples collected so far, the number should be between 200 and 230ish.

June 1991 was the third month they made these guitars, so this example is from early in the run of 1000.

http://www.rickresource.com/register/in ... 91&order=5
That's really cool, and I'm happy to have an early one!
bigdicebuddha

Post by bigdicebuddha »

And the 620/12, that's what the Tom Petty Sig was originally based off of, right? Mike Campbell's 620/12?

I've always loved this story Mike tells about acquiring his 620/12, and the special connection to George Harrison's Ric:

https://youtu.be/NNUWlrKaWkA
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Looks real to me. Those early TP's had that great birdseye maple.

I recommend starting the request process for that letter now. The earlier it is dated, the more valuable an asset it will be in the future when you (or your heirs) go to sell.

Oh and yes the 660/12 paid tribute to the Damn The Torpedoes 620/12, Mike's. But TP wanted the 12-saddle bridge like on McGuinn's limited edition. And the wider neck.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”