Fingerboard finish developed defect

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

cwstoneking

Fingerboard finish developed defect

Post by cwstoneking »

I have a Jetglo 381v69 that I purchased brand new a couple years ago, it had been in it's rickenbacker case in my house for several months while I was away, I pulled it out one day to play and noticed that the finish on the fingerboard had developed cloudy looking patches, at first they looked to me like scuffed surface owing to the fact there appears to be fine lines of cloudiness that run parallel to the frets within these patches, well around some of the edges of them etc. after taking a closer look I'm sure the problem is inside the finish, or underneath it, the cloudy appearance gives the impression that the finish has separated from the wood underneath, though I don't think this is the case. Has anyone else had this occur on their rickenbacker guitars or basses? And if so do you know how it can be fixed? The problem developed as I said, with the guitar stored in my house inside its case, It was not as a result of any playing or handling. Hope someone can help.
cwstoneking

Re: Fingerboard finish developed defect

Post by cwstoneking »

..pics of the fingerboard here (I don't know how to post pics): https://cwstoneking.tumblr.com/post/158994787700
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Never seen that before. Assuming you filled out your warranty card and sent in, I'd contact RIC CS and ask how to proceed. Remember they're a small company so they might not get back to you super fast.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

The warranty from RIC on the finish is 12 months from the date of manufacture, so unless they make an exception in your case, you're out of luck.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Oh right, I forgot the finish was only 1 year. Dang.
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

cwstoneking wrote:..pics of the fingerboard here (I don't know how to post pics): https://cwstoneking.tumblr.com/post/158994787700
For the history of the thread then...
tumblr_onmawrGkGx1uujx9vo1_400.jpg
tumblr_onmawrGkGx1uujx9vo2_400.jpg
Looks like it is the clearcoat. Can it not be buffed out??
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
cwstoneking

Post by cwstoneking »

Thanks very much. I don't have tools or expertise for buffing the finish. I guess I'll take it to a luthier and see what they can do with it.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

cwstoneking wrote:Thanks very much. I don't have tools or expertise for buffing the finish. I guess I'll take it to a luthier and see what they can do with it.
Make sure whoever does the finish work knows what kind of finish is on the guitar. If the prospective luthier is a Fender/nitro kind of guy, look elsewhere.
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

There are two Rick web sites, each having unique strengths. Many of us visit both routinely. For a technical concern like yours, you might want to post your question over at the RIC website, where Mr. John Hall may chime in with some facts and advice. As an introduction to the site, here are the results of a search of "fretboard finish." Look through them, see what you find:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/searc ... mit=Search

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”