360/12c63 or a C series 325?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

maxwell

Re: 360/12c63 or a C series 325?

Post by maxwell »

A personal note, an aside, if you will: My plan to install a Bigsby replacing the Accent is purely because of a functional need. There's something weird with my neck -- while it is straight along its longitudinal axis, strings are simply too high off the fretboard when using the Accent. In fact, I have to max out the bridge height just to have some contact with the strings. This situation does not allow any way to lower the action.

The Bigsby has that forward, low (close to guitar face) roller bar which I think will give me a decent break angle over the bridge and allow me to adjust the string action. I could live with a hard tail, and have been considering this, but the parts would cost $100 and I have no idea if this will change the string break angle. I feel, however, that it will not. (The Bigsby I could always use IF I did not modify it (cut off the forward tab) by installing it on a non-trem guitar using a Vibramate.)

Before I discovered the problems with my guitar, my biggest gripe with the Accent was that I was repeatedly stabbing myself on that sharp trem bar end. I ended up putting a piece of tubing over it as an ugly but quick fix. If the Accent worked for me, I would not replace it.

Every Rick owner should be aware of this web site: http://winfieldvintage.com/index.html
collin

Post by collin »

maxwell wrote:A personal note, an aside, if you will: My plan to install a Bigsby replacing the Accent is purely because of a functional need. There's something weird with my neck -- while it is straight along its longitudinal axis, strings are simply too high off the fretboard when using the Accent. In fact, I have to max out the bridge height just to have some contact with the strings. This situation does not allow any way to lower the action.

The Bigsby has that forward, low (close to guitar face) roller bar which I think will give me a decent break angle over the bridge and allow me to adjust the string action. I could live with a hard tail, and have been considering this, but the parts would cost $100 and I have no idea if this will change the string break angle. I feel, however, that it will not. (The Bigsby I could always use IF I did not modify it (cut off the forward tab) by installing it on a non-trem guitar using a Vibramate.)

Before I discovered the problems with my guitar, my biggest gripe with the Accent was that I was repeatedly stabbing myself on that sharp trem bar end. I ended up putting a piece of tubing over it as an ugly but quick fix. If the Accent worked for me, I would not replace it.

Every Rick owner should be aware of this web site: http://winfieldvintage.com/index.html
It's worth noting that models originally equipped with an Accent have the strap button at a lower position than those equipped with an "R" tailpiece from new.

If you put an Accent where an "R" tail bracket once was, the break angle will be almost non-existent. Strap button needs to be lower for an Accent (and Winfield sell a conversion bracket for this exact reason).

The Accent is a beautiful looking piece, but it's only marginally better than the Kaufman from a functionality perspective. The Bigsby is a much better vibrato, but you really have to commit to drilling holes in your guitar.
ayoungmusiciandude

Post by ayoungmusiciandude »

Alright dudes, good stuff.

Once I have the extra dough I plan to finally focus my efforts and buy the parts. :)

Here's my list of I noted I'd need to change for the conversion. Many notes on things I'm missing, should do or be warned of?:

Accent Vibrato replaced with Bigsby B5 vibrato
Black paint removed from Bigsby logo background
Bigsby vibrato arm pivot pin replaced with
period correct Phillips-head screw

Rickenbacker stock bridge replaced with Bigsby Bowtie bridge

Tuning machine heads swapped for Rick Tite Tuners (hole situation noted)

Rickenbacker plastic vintage knobs replaced with
Burns of London aluminum knobs

White 5 control pickgaurd and Ric TRC logo replaced with Gold 4 way control pickgaurd and Ric TRC logo

Looking in the overall scheme I know changing the c64 cosmetically with Lennon modifications generally fit for a c58 are possible but my main question is will it come out replicated to a 58'? I know the 58' is thicker depth-wise but are the basic width and heights of the body of a c64 match to the overall face of a c58? :?

Also does anyone know exactly where I can purchase the tuning machines? I don't know the exact name or type of tuners so I want the right ones when the time comes.

This might spark heated debate too so I apologize in advance but can anyone point me in the direction of a Gold TRC logo? I know Rickenbacker is hyper protective about who and what can obtain their logo without a full guitar so I turn my attention to you guys. I know I've seen not only gold trc covers but c58 ones occasionally on eBay so I assume a few people have a surplus in some way.

I'm hoping the modifications fit on the guitar in the right places. I'd like for it to be as close as possible. :D
It's better to burn out
Then to fade away

~Neil Young
bvstudios

Post by bvstudios »

A long time ago in a different life, I was a cast member in a summer Music Hall show. At one point I came out front and showed the audience my new-looking brown shoes.

"What do you think of my shoes?" I asked. "Can you believe they're twenty three years old? Yep, twenty-three years. Look pretty good, don't they? Wear 'em ev'ry day, I do! An' they'll likely go another twenty years, too! I'll tell you how I keep 'em so good looking if you like. Tell you my secret, as it were!

"Every even year, I get 'em re-soled, and every odd year, I get the tops re-done and new laces, too! But yep, same shoes, twenty-three years, now. Can you believe it?"

Kinda reminds me of this conversion project a little.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

bvstudios wrote:A long time ago in a different life, I was a cast member in a summer Music Hall show. At one point I came out front and showed the audience my new-looking brown shoes.

"What do you think of my shoes?" I asked. "Can you believe they're twenty three years old? Yep, twenty-three years. Look pretty good, don't they? Wear 'em ev'ry day, I do! An' they'll likely go another twenty years, too! I'll tell you how I keep 'em so good looking if you like. Tell you my secret, as it were!

"Every even year, I get 'em re-soled, and every odd year, I get the tops re-done and new laces, too! But yep, same shoes, twenty-three years, now. Can you believe it?"

Kinda reminds me of this conversion project a little.
Yep. I don't understand this obsession with converting an instrument into a shrine, especially so with trying to make something totally different into something it never was of could never be.
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

Well, we've been down this road of criticism earlier in the thread. It's time to help, or simply stand aside and see how the project unfold. As old as I am, I haven't forgot what it's like to be young and free-spirited, pursuing an unconventional goal, fueled by naive bliss. (I wish I were young again.)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

maxwell wrote:...It's time to help, or simply stand aside and see how the project unfold...
Or, we could help his spend his money more wisely, using our collective past experiences as a guide..........................
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Curious to see how it turns out. The C64 is maple, and the C58 is alder, right? So there is one difference you can't get away from, and the weight difference is considerable, IIRC.

I'm all for modding things to make them personal, and to get the right tool for the job. I, myself, would not mod one thing into another thing that exists, but hey it's not my project, is it?

OP, you might consider looking for vintage Grover Sta-tite tuners. If you can't find them separately, consider finding a beatup guitar that has them, swapping them out and selling off the "donor" guitar. You can find a Combo 400 for a decent price occasionally. Which brings up a good point... maybe try modding this to be like a real '58 rather than a C58?
ayoungmusiciandude

maxwell wrote:Well, we've been down this road of criticism earlier in the thread. It's time to help, or simply stand aside and see how the project unfold. As old as I am, I haven't forgot what it's like to be young and free-spirited, pursuing an unconventional goal, fueled by naive bliss. (I wish I were young again.)
Thank you for saying what needed to be said.

Some here are rather immature unfortunately, sadly even consultants of the forum seem to be bitter and into telling a person what they should and shouldn't do with their money. :roll:
jps wrote: Or, we could help his spend his money more wisely, using our collective past experiences as a guide..........................
The prices and sheer rarity of a decent 325c58 with Lennon mods are so polar and generally outrageous one must do the next best thing. So unless you can point me in the direction of someone who will trade a c58 for a c64 before I begin tweaking it in a couple weeks my plan still stays in forward motion. :!:
jdogric12 wrote:maybe try modding this to be like a real '58 rather than a C58?
I'm definitely digging that idea Jason, I guess I hadn't thought of that. Vintage parts can be tough though so I assume I'll need to keep my eyes peeled. I already am dreading my quest for a gold Rickenbacker TRC logo, I suppose I could start making the search more in depth with genuine era parts depending on how it goes.

As stated I'm curious to see what some new parts will give me tone and playability-wise. Had I wanted to Lennon-ize this 325 or not a Bigsby B5 was in its future. As said; Its a tool I'm adjusting to my own preference in order to fill the duty I'll be giving the instrument.
It's better to burn out
Then to fade away

~Neil Young
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Main thing is, be patient. It wouldn't be any fun if you could walk into Walmart and buy all this today.

I've waited years to complete some projects. It's all that much more fulfilling when you do in that case.
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

ayoungmusiciandude wrote:Some here are rather immature unfortunately, sadly even consultants of the forum seem to be bitter and into telling a person what they should and shouldn't do with their money. :roll:
No, no, no! You've got me all wrong here! I simply thought that there was no use in beating a dead horse, that you had made your mind up and were never going to change it regardless of the validity and/or wisdom of the advice. I did think you were starting to come around to somewhat consider and appreciate some of the advice....

I'm sure most of the participants here are at least twice your age, and have a considerable amount of experience -- both in life and in things Rick. I'm sorry to say this, but now it needs to be said: I think the only immature and "sad" person here is you.

You can disagree without being an A-hole.

I have nothing else to offer. Good luck.
ayoungmusiciandude

maxwell wrote:
ayoungmusiciandude wrote:Some here are rather immature unfortunately, sadly even consultants of the forum seem to be bitter and into telling a person what they should and shouldn't do with their money. :roll:
No, no, no! You've got me all wrong here! I simply thought that there was no use in beating a dead horse, that you had made your mind up and were never going to change it regardless of the validity and/or wisdom of the advice. I did think you were starting to come around to somewhat consider and appreciate some of the advice....

I'm sure most of the participants here are at least twice your age, and have a considerable amount of experience -- both in life and in things Rick. I'm sorry to say this, but now it needs to be said: I think the only immature and "sad" person here is you.

You can disagree without being an A-hole.

I have nothing else to offer. Good luck.
Hey you're good dude! My comment was nothing on you brother, was happy to see you know the young can make crazy decisions and respect that. It's the other fella who's a bring down, and he's a consultant here on the resource. I wish the rest of the guys on the forum were like you.
It's better to burn out
Then to fade away

~Neil Young
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

OK, I appreciate that. Anyway, I have been you.

PS -Just tune out the guys/suggestions you don't like and don't respond at all. Listen to jdogric12.
collin

Post by collin »

ayoungmusiciandude wrote: Some here are rather immature unfortunately, sadly even consultants of the forum seem to be bitter and into telling a person what they should and shouldn't do with their money. :roll:
First off - you started this thread to get our input on what to do with your money. Don't forget that.

Secondly, the only "immature" thing here is you. People here with a LOT more experience than you are giving you valuable practical advice and the moment anybody doesn't agree with your misguided logic, you take it personally.
bvstudios

Post by bvstudios »

Why am I suddenly getting a sense of "headline deja vu".....?

end of derail.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”