360/12c63 or a C series 325?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

tcsmit29

Re: 360/12c63 or a C series 325?

Post by tcsmit29 »

ayoungmusiciandude wrote:Hey guys! I actually got the 325c64. With the proper amplification and pedals it can elicit any sounds! Great playability! However I just got to try a C58 for the first time. Currently looking to trade my C64 for a C58.

Good luck! That gold pickguard can easily add $1000 to the price. :lol:
ayoungmusiciandude

Post by ayoungmusiciandude »

After really playing and getting use to my 325c64 I love the thing! :D

It really has a lot more capability than most say. through the correct amps, pedals and settings you can truly do anything.

I think it's more a matter of morality on what is played instead of the guitar having limitation :lol:

What I figured I'd bring to the table though is the fact I decided I'm going to send it off to a luthier for some customization. I'm hoping to actually have it turned into a hybrid between a c58 and c64!

The guy I'm in talks with is going to change the cosmetics and wiring to more match a c58'. He's even going to go the extra mile and add the correct depth to the body as well as reshape the neck and headstock to match the 58' version :shock:

aside from some minor tweaks and difference of wood I assume the conversion should be pretty spot on!

I look forward to showing you all! Hopefully this starts soon and I'll have photos of the process. :)
It's better to burn out
Then to fade away

~Neil Young
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

No disrespect intended, but this sounds completely bonkers. It sounds like you're making a whole new guitar. If you don't know this "luthier" too well I wouldn't be surprised if he makes you a total replica and keeps or sells your real Rick. Adding depth to the body? Guess what - that requires making a whole new body. Reshaping the neck and headstock? Guess what... that's a new neck and headstock. Changing cosmetics and wiring? That's a whole new guitar. This all sounds goofy and fishy to me. A C58 has reverse pots, doesn't it? You really want that? There is a reason they got flipped around 1960 and the world never looked back. I strongly advise you put the brakes on and just wait til a C58 pops up. This sounds completely crazy.
ayoungmusiciandude

That was my original thought process. I was skeptical at first. I actually did major research on various websites including the words of multiple skilled craftsman which I can cite if need be.

I contacted my personal luthier to see if it was feasible. To my surprise he's done similar projects and also had overseen a 325v59 converted to a 325c58. :D

I've already seen the list of changes, modifications and tweaks, it'll be grueling and tedious but in the end the only difference will be the woods of the body and neck!

It's crazy and ludicrous but a great many things that are turn out to be pretty awesome.
It's better to burn out
Then to fade away

~Neil Young
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

ayoungmusiciandude wrote: in the end the only difference will be the woods of the body and neck!

Is that all? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good luck!
collin

Post by collin »

forehead.jpg
You're killing me, smalls.
12stringbassist
Intermediate Member

Post by 12stringbassist »

I would get a replica built rather than have major work done on a pefectly good guitar to try to make it into something else.
collin

Post by collin »

I just bought this great new car....

....but now I don't like it and I'm going to transform it into a school bus.

That's literally how insane this thread sounds. What happened to this forum?! :shock:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

collin wrote:I just bought this great new car....

....but now I don't like it and I'm going to transform it into a school bus.

That's literally how insane this thread sounds. What happened to this forum?! :shock:
Kids, these day....................... They just don't get it. No offense to those that do. :wink:
ayoungmusiciandude

Spare me the ridicule guys.

Just because I'm not a purist on what guitar I play or how I keep it doesn't entitle treatment like this.
jps wrote: Kids, these day....................... They just don't get it. No offense to those that do. :wink:
C'mon dude I could be doing and saying a lot worse like others my age. I might be a bit more starry eyed than you guys but I'm not stupid.

People have done this before so I'm not leaping head long in without in depth analysis and data research. A very common trend prior to the production of the 325c58 was taking 325v59s and correcting them to appear more true to an actual 58'. It shouldn't be a hard concept to grasp that it can be done on a c64 as well.

My luthier has been working with Rickenbacker guitars for 14 years and the guy is truly skilled. I highly doubt he'd steer me in the wrong direction, he too is an enthusiast so I take his word. He has plenty of photos, videos and proof of his work. He said it would be a lot of work but yeah why not?

Pretty sad a bunch of guys like yourself would pick on someone who shares a common interest and is a youth among men. I heard Ric enthusiasts were stuck up snobs from various people but I was hoping it wasn't true.

I'm tempted to show various pages, forums and my luthier your "know it all comments". That way when the project is complete and it looks great you'll all eat your words :lol:
It's better to burn out
Then to fade away

~Neil Young
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

ayoungmusiciandude wrote:Spare me the ridicule guys.

Just because I'm not a purist on what guitar I play or how I keep it doesn't entitle treatment like this.
jps wrote: Kids, these day....................... They just don't get it. No offense to those that do. :wink:
C'mon dude I could be doing and saying a lot worse like others my age. I might be a bit more starry eyed than you guys but I'm not stupid.

People have done this before so I'm not leaping head long in without in depth analysis and data research. A very common trend prior to the production of the 325c58 was taking 325v59s and correcting them to appear more true to an actual 58'. It shouldn't be a hard concept to grasp that it can be done on a c64 as well.

My luthier has been working with Rickenbacker guitars for 14 years and the guy is truly skilled. I highly doubt he'd steer me in the wrong direction, he too is an enthusiast so I take his word. He has plenty of photos, videos and proof of his work. He said it would be a lot of work but yeah why not?

Pretty sad a bunch of guys like yourself would pick on someone who shares a common interest and is a youth among men. I heard Ric enthusiasts were stuck up snobs from various people but I was hoping it wasn't true.

I'm tempted to show various pages, forums and my luthier your "know it all comments". That way when the project is complete and it looks great you'll all eat your words :lol:
You're just in the wrong forum. Here, we strive to celebrate Rickenbackers for what they are. Perhaps, some other forum is about taking a perfectly excellent instrument and totally transforming it into something it is not, like changing body and neck/headstock dimensions and shape, along with totally replacing everything else on it. Why not just start from scratch and have a completely custom instrument made that fills in all the blanks you are seeking? Really.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

You're right about the V59->C58 mods... quite common, but that's just hardware, wiring, plastic... simple reversible stuff. Even adding a Bigsby may be irreversible but it's pretty common.

Here is the difference:
No one hacks up a perfectly good $2-3K guitar to make a completely new guitar, which is what your luthier has convinced you he's going to do. (I'm still suspicious.) And the new guitar will not be worth anything close to the value of the original, unless someone sells it as something it's not, either unwittingly (like if you have an heir in the future that doesn't know much about guitars), or deceptively (like you sell it to someone honestly, and they sell it to someone else dishonestly representing it as an original C58).

If I were you, I'd start with the reversible things first: plastic, pickups, wiring. Then move to simple irreversibles: tuners, vibrato. See how that does. If you're still unsatisfied, then move to the bones.

I think the main issue for me is you're basically burning money and kind of flaunting it. You're young so I dont' think that was your intention at all. It's just something you should be made aware of. I remember in my early 20's selling my one Rick 12-string so I could pay the rent. I remember digging through my car for change, and not having enough to get a $0.99 sandwich at a fast food restaurant so I went to bed hungry. I was never really homeless but I did surf couches for a few months one summer. I remember being out of work for weeks when my industry crumbled 15 years ago and I had to start a new career. So it bothers me when I see someone flushing money, that's my main problem.

I know what you mean about the Rick snob culture... I got into Ricks as a teenager in the 90's so I know! But people here, albeit harshly due to the severity of what you're planning, are saying these things in your best interest, not to be intentionally mean. Sleep on it, and all the best with whatever you decide.
ayoungmusiciandude

Did anyone ever stop to consider that it's my personal preference and maybe my reason for doing it is a reason an outsider may not grasp?

It's not 1965 dude, don't treat me like Dylan playing electric at a folk festival. :lol:

I celebrate Rickenbacker guitars for what they are but I also am an artist who likes change, image alteration and tinkering. Fun fact one of the biggest Rickenbacker players of all time altered his or are you forgetting?

Guitars are works of art for the user to do with it what they see fit and the 325 itself is like a canvas for many. Lennon took a blonde 325 and no one here curses him for painting it black, snipping wires and changing bridges and knobs. Or what about John Fogerty who did a MAJOR overhaul by changing not only the bridge and trem but installing a Gibson pickup and changing the Ric TRC to the "ACME" logo for kicks?

Every guitarist I know takes an instrument and alters it to their liking, whether it be simply adjusting a bridge to a different tension or bringing it to life with modifications the player sees fit. All I'm doing is simply changing mine to appear more like the model I always wanted so when I play it I'm not just using a guitar I had to settle for because it was still in production and cheaper but a guitar I bought and made to my liking so every time I play it there's more pride behind it.

I worked very hard for this guitar and I'm still working hard in general for things aside from this guitar, I'm not just some spoiled millennial kid. I've wanted a replica of Lennon's first 325 since childhood but it eluded me as by the time I joined the work force it was 2010 and the guitar was discontinued.

With mark ups to 6000 dollars on some it's pretty easy to see why I'm doing this. I may be spending a bit more but not a crazy amount on something the all wise brainiacs at Rickenbacker decide to discontinue.

Does that shed light for anyone? I mean can't one person here get behind it? Everyone else everywhere else can :?
It's better to burn out
Then to fade away

~Neil Young
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

ayoungmusiciandude wrote:... I mean can't one person here get behind it? Everyone else everywhere else can :?
Well, that tells you something, doesn't it? It's been a pleasure having you here, but perhaps, it's time for you to spend your time somewhere else. The RRF is, apparently, not where you want to be.

Good luck with your project. :D
ayoungmusiciandude

jps wrote:It's been a pleasure having you here, but perhaps, it's time for you to spend your time somewhere else. The RRF is, apparently, not where you want to be.
Or instead of acting all high and mighty as if you have some authority on what I do with my instrument or where I forum you could leave the offhand comments for yourself and run along to your swollen book of insults for other things. :)
It's better to burn out
Then to fade away

~Neil Young

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”